Guest travelerjim

Stop Press ! Baht Rises, US$ is 34 range ...OUCH!

Guest pete1969

Last week when I sent money to Thailand (both by Western Union and by Moneygram), the rate was less than 35 baht per USD (around 34 range). Two days ago it was 33 baht exchange via Western Union.

Many of us who use these boards are already facing less than a 35 baht exchange rate and see no sign of it improving. That is our reality.

Pete

Many of us who use these boards are already facing less than a 35 baht exchange rate and see no sign of it improving. That is our reality.

There is another reality when dealing with Western Union. The recipient on the Thailand end also gets ripped off on the exchange rate he receives. Western Union is one of the more expensive ways to send money. Unless you give a boy his own ATM card with which to receive money, I think the best deal of all is the Niddy's Nook deal. Maybe some people did not like the cheeseburger or their advertising methods, but their deal for sending money to a Thai boy is about the least expensive method of all and absolutely reliable.

Guest pete1969

I've never had a problem with Western Union paying out in Thailand exactly what it said it would pay out. Moneygram is a better option (both in terms of fees and in terms of exchange). However, Western Union in the USA now has automated machines in many 7-11s open 24 hours per day and has better access via web and phone.

The Nook does not service the northern provinces so that does me no good (or a great number of board users who send money to places other than Pattaya).

The issue with debit cards is that banks now charge a fee to check one's balance, a fee for denials, and like to overdraft ATM withdrawals so that they can sock the consumer for a hefty $34 fee for an overdraft. Even the most careful Thai guy will run into these fees on occassion with a low balance account.

So, for now, the lower the baht drops the more it hurts!

Pete

The Nook does not service the northern provinces so that does me no good (or a great number of board users who send money to places other than Pattaya).

I'm a little surprised to hear that they don't. If the boy has a bank account, then it shouldn't be a problem for their service to simply deposit the funds into his account.