Guest shockdevil

US Passport Needs Upgrading

Guest shockdevil

Please help. :huh:

I initially was coming to Thailand for about 28 days and just discovered that the trip was extended to 33 days. I am leaving USA in 5 days and do not believe I have sufficient time to obtain a tourist Visa. I have a valid US passport, which will allow for 30 days visit. Is there anything I can do to extend my 30 days to 33 days while in Thailand?

I am afraid to just pay the

You don't have a problem. All you need to do is go to any immigration office in Thailand. Wait until a few days before your visa will expire. They are almost always willing to give you a ten day one-time extension. The fee is 1900 baht. Take your airline ticket with you when you go to the immigration office so they know you are only going to stay three days beyond your visa. That way they won't think you are just another "farang" trying to live in Thailand without a paid visa.

You shouldn't have any problems at all about easily getting an extension. Even if you do, you're right. You can simply pay the overstay fine, which I believe is 500 baht per day, when you leave the country. Yes, you can have problems if you are caught overstaying, but unless the police have a good reason to stop you and check your papers, which almost never happens, for three days you will probably be just fine.