vinapu

Taiwan Pride last weekend

Judging from these videos and the photos posted elsewhere, those who took part were as usual just ordinary guys and gals. A few floats from companies like Sony. Good on them. 

It does seem to me that one reason for Taiwan’s Parade being so hugely successful with increasing numbers year after year (down this year largely because of the understandable absence of overseas visitors but last years attendance was around 170,000) is that it is privately organized by a group of gay individuals. I understand it has been so from the start. 

I often wonder why Thailand which we all thought was a more accepting gay society until Taiwan took over that role, never had a successful Gay Pride Parade. If even Tokyo and Hong Kong can have one (assuming the latter is allowed to continue under the new repressive political regime) and despite the best efforts of its homophobic government Singapore has its very successful gay Pink Dot celebration, why nothing here? Is it because the few that did materialize about 20 years ago were almost totally organized by the commercial sex establishments and most of the participants those who worked in them? Is it because of the ever present fear of ordinary professional Thais that they will encounter ostracism at work and home. I have heard several tales of professional Thais being denied advancement in their firms when it became known they are gay.

The Thai Tourism people have a campaign targeted at gay visitors. No doubt it is aimed at the richer niche market interested in temples, beaches and shopping (sex being anathema to the authorities)!!! But Taipei tourism must make a ton of cash out of the Pride Parade if there are indeed 50,000 plus visiting from around the region (at least 10,000 of these must be from Singapore). Is one in Bangkok organized along the lines of that in Taipei not a possibility?

I guess thailand already have big gay events (gcircuit songkran) that had so many gays comes during songkran, for either the free songkran "parade" or the gcircuit party and many other private event party. I guess this is very unique to thailand and i dont see local have issues to join the party/crowd. And of course another hugely successful white party gcircuit events too. Thailand night not hold the traditional pride but certainly not short of gay related events to attract those pink dollars.