Gaybutton

City Officials Discuss Traffic Concerns

The following appears in the PATTAYA CITY NEWS:

_____

Traffic Concerns Discussed at Pattaya City Hall Meeting

A meeting now from Pattaya City Hall chaired by Khun Sonti, a member of the Pattaya Council who summoned representatives from the Traffic Police Division to discuss traffic problems around Pattaya. The first location causing concern is Walking Street where Khun Sonti informed the meeting that the one way system in place on the street is being disregarded and is causing danger for tourists and others who use the street.

The second problem brought up in the meeting was the blocked intersection with Soi Neun Pleub Wan and the Sukumvit Road. Although this intersection is now blocked, some motorbike drivers are still using the old intersection to cross the Sukumvit Road. The Traffic Police responded to these and other more minor traffic problems brought up in the meeting and promised to look into each issue as a matter of urgency.

What interests me most about this article is the blocked intersection with Soi Neun Pleub Wan and the Sukumvit Road. That seems to be something so typical of Pattaya. Soi Neun Pleub Wan is a major thoroughfare leading east from Sukhumvit Highway. The reason I find it interesting is because less than a year ago the city spent quite a bit of money to build that intersection and install traffic lights there. It all seemed to be working just fine. Then, about a month and a half ago that intersection was suddenly blocked. The only traffic that can now legally use it are vehicles making a U-turn from the southbound lane of Sukhumvit highway. That, of course, means nothing to motorcyclists who couldn't care less whether the intersection is blocked or not, but that's another story. Meanwhile, my question is: If the city spent the money to install the intersection, and since the traffic signals were actually working perfectly, then why is it now blocked?

Welcome to Pattaya . . .

Same story on so many junctions in Pattaya. They want to make traffic flow on Sukhumvit and to hell with the residents either side of the main road. Time for a new bye-pass i think, will the new road along the railway help this? Yes if they put junctions on it for access but I not see any in plan as yet.

Same story on so many junctions in Pattaya. They want to make traffic flow on Sukhumvit and to hell with the residents either side of the main road. Time for a new bye-pass i think, will the new road along the railway help this? Yes if they put junctions on it for access but I not see any in plan as yet.

Construction has indeed begun for the bypass. It will run parallel to the railroad tracks. The work crews are out there creating and leveling the road bed. As for where access and exits will be, for the time being your guess is as good as mine.