Guest travelerjim

Thai Air : JFK / BKK buying economy and paying to upgrade??

Guest travelerjim

Hello GT Friends,

Cruising the Flyer Talk Forum threads this lazy Saturday afternoon....

Reading the Thai Airways airline forum threads...

Found this - hopefully - helpful info for those of you who may be flying on Thai Air from JFK - New York City non-stop to Bangkok...

It is a LONG flight and the opportunity to "upgrade" your seating from Economy to Economy Deluxe (Y-PE fare class) or from Economy to Business Class

Jim,

$640 seems like an awful lot to upgrade from economy to premium economy, one way. That's more than the difference between economy and premium economy on a round trip from JFK to BKK on Thai. I recently flew PE on the Thai flight. I enjoyed it and only have one complaint. If the flight isn't full and you are lucky enough to have an empty row, the armrests in premium economy don't go up, so you can't stretch out.

Guest jsvan44

Jim,

$640 seems like an awful lot to upgrade from economy to premium economy, one way. That's more than the difference between economy and premium economy on a round trip from JFK to BKK on Thai. I recently flew PE on the Thai flight. I enjoyed it and only have one complaint. If the flight isn't full and you are lucky enough to have an empty row, the armrests in premium economy don't go up, so you can't stretch out.

It cost me $200 each way 2 months ago to upgrade to Premium Economy. And well worth it on the 17 hour flight.

I tried to upgrade from PE to C on the JFK-BKK leg of my flight but the checkin and gate agents told me that would cost something like $1500. I tried to tell them it was supposed to be less than that but they were not interested. The staff at JFK are not Thai staff, but rather contractors who couldn't care less about customer service. The PE seats were OK and I had plenty of room since the seat next to me was empty, but I can't sleep in a sitting position so even the PE seat was not great for me.

On the BKK-JFK return I again inquired at checkin about upgrading from PE to C. I was able to buy the upgrade for Bt 26500 which I think was around $700 at the time. It was well worth it as far as I was concerned. I had to leave the checkin area (at Don Muang) and go to the ticket sales office counter to buy the upgrade and then go back to the checkin desk where she had my C class boarding pass waiting for me.

Guest shockdevil

I am traveling to Thailand on Thai Air out of JFK with a Coach ticket. I am a bit confused about Coach vs. Economy vs. Premium Economy. How can you tell which class you

Guest travelerjim

I am traveling to Thailand on Thai Air out of JFK with a Coach ticket. I am a bit confused about Coach vs. Economy vs. Premium Economy. How can you tell which class you

Guest shockdevil

Shockdevil,

Enjoy your trip to Thailand...wish I had better outlook for your upgrade possibilities.

TravelerJim

Thanks TravelerJim. Although it's too late to make changes to my award ticket now, I will make sure I book busines class next time.