Gaybutton

Sansuk Sauna - GB's Visit and Observations

Since the Sansuk Sauna has now opened in Pattaya, this afternoon I paid my first visit. Unfortunately I was there too early. I went at 2:00. They don't open until 3:00, but I was given a tour.

First, the operating hours, for the time being are 3:00 PM until 11:00PM to 12:00AM. The closing time will depend on the number of customers. Also, for the time being, the admission price is 180 baht.

I looked through the sauna, but did not look at the guesthouse at all, at least not today.

The entrance decor did remind me of the Babylon Sauna in Bangkok . . . all tile and quite appealing. I suppose comparing Sansuk to Babylon can't be helped. It is similar to Babylon on a much smaller scale.

On the ground floor there is a large lounge area, with a bar, tables, couches, etc. The drink prices range from 40 baht to about 160 baht, depending on what you order. In the lounge area there is a large-screen television. A few boys, employees of the sauna, were watching a music program and the volume was turned up quite high, far too high for my taste. Of course, this was before opening hours so perhaps the volume is more subdued when customers are present.

I asked about the towels. They do have large size towels for the, shall we say, more portly among us.

There is a swimming pool, about half the size of the pool at the Babylon. The ground floor is where the sauna is. There is a one hot rock sauna that is essentially identical to the one at the Babylon. There is one steam sauna, much smaller than the one at Babylon. It is rectangular shaped.

The second floor consists of privacy rooms, quite similar to the Babylon.

The third floor is another lounge, all outdoors, with plenty of tables and chairs, a view of the swimming pool, and a bar. I was told restaurant facilities will soon be there, similar to the old Babylon.

There is an exercise room, well equipped. However, if you wish to observe boys working out, you'll have to be in there with them. It is not glass-fronted as is done at the Babylon.

I was impressed with the quality of the furnishings and decor. However, I feel that the steam sauna is much too small and there is nowhere to sit down in there. Also, the Babylon has water fountains available. I saw none at Sansuk.

While I was there, all the rooms, sauna, privacy rooms, etc, were awash with sunlight. If they are going to darken everything, Babylon style, I think that may need some work. Of course, after nightfall, it all will be naturally dark.

Now, bear in mind that I was there a full hour before opening time and the sauna has only been open for a few days. Punya was not there, so I was not able to ask him any questions. I will have another look during opening hours and post my observations unless someone else beats me to it.

I have attached the Sansuk business card below.

Guest wowpow

Thanks for the critique. You don't sound bowled over.

The Guesthouse does not open until February according to their website:

"he Guesthouse, which is still to be completed, we hope to open in February 2007.

It has 19 large comfortable rooms, all with Air Con, Mini Bars, TV and CD players and is also on three floors.

The ground floor has an open courtyard with Breakfast area, Bar, a Fountain and Plants to give an exotic feel.

The 1st and 2nd floors have seating outside the rooms where you can relax, read and have a drink.

As a promotion breakfast will be included and free use of the Sauna Complex when it opens at 3pm. The room prices will start at 2.500 Bht per night.

Punya Ratana, Proprietor "

http://www.sansukpattaya.com/sauna.php

Humm! from 2500 baht a night?

Thanks for the critique. You don't sound bowled over.

In all honesty, I'm not. At least not yet. The problem is that I can't help but compare Sansuk with Babylon and that really is not fair to do. If I had never been to Babylon, then I probably would have been much more impressed. But at least Pattaya finally has something and I think it's a very positive thing and I hope Sansuk succeeds.

I think those who go there looking for the sex so readily available at Babylon will be disappointed for the time being. Perhaps once the Sansuk is established and enough gay Thais give it a try it can be a success.

If people give Sansuk a try, without expecting a clone of Babylon, then I think they will be pleased.

I intend to go there because I happen to really enjoy steam saunas for their own sake. The fact that it will also be a gay environment will be great for me.

I used to go quite often to a combination sauna and traditional Thai massage in Naklua. The only reason I was there was for the steam rooms. Several months ago the sauna closed and re-opened in a new location on Third Road, very close to the bridge. However, they have yet to open steam rooms. Every time I check, I'm told it will be a few more months. Now that Sansuk has opened, I plan on being there. I also think it will be a viable alternative to the bars. We'll see.

Guest Kregger

If EVER there was a reason for DOUBLE PRICING, this is a case.

As many know, in the US at least, it is quite common for saunas to offer cheaper prices to YOUNG men, at least on special nights.

Now, in the context of Pattaya, YOUNG men would mostly mean THAI men. And we all LIKE Thai men, now, don't we? It would be great if some of those young Russian studs about town showed up as well, but musn't get too greedy.

Pattaya is not Bangkok. This new sauna is a great idea, but lets face it, for the owner also a great risk. Pattaya is indeed the COMMERCIAL sex capital of the world. How many non-commercial gay bars are there in the area? The back bar at Boyz3 does not count.

So, please, Punya, get with the program and offer a SPECIAL PRICE for the YOUNG MEN (say 18 to 30 or 35) who just happen to be Thai. Come on and do it. It will really help your business, really it will ...

Surely where the young men gather, the farang base of not so young will be sure to follow, and happy to pay the full freight. After all, those LARGE TOWELS cost more to launder.

Let me put it another way. Many or most farang Pattaya regulars will make it down to the new sauna once or twice, or thrice. But if all they see are other older farangs, well, sadly, most will not be back.

Guest GaySacGuy

I have been very much against double pricing, but I agree that this is the place for Double Pricing, or some other incentive. I recently visited Chaing Mai, and visted the House of Male Sauna. On Tuesday and Thursday they have locals specials, where the locals get in two for one after 6 p.m.

It was quite amazing to be in a quite facility with maybe 10-15 people one minute, and 30 minutes later to have 60+ guys in the facility!

I sure hope that they find some way to get the local boys in for a reasonable...or no fare..as it will determine the success or failure of their business.

I agree and think Kregger has come up with a great idea, considering the reason most "farang" go to gay saunas in the first place. The average Thai boy cannot afford the 180 baht admission price, and that's only the introductory price. Having a special price, or even free admission, for anyone, Thai, 'farang,' or anything else, between whatever ages are appropriate might be just the thing that could make Sansuk quickly become highly popular and attract a sizable clientele.

The Sansuk business card shows the E-mail address as info@sansukpattaya.com . Perhaps it would be helpful to send that suggestion to them via E-mail.

Good news, gents. It will not be necessary to make the suggestion to Sansuk. They've beaten us to it.

Today at the beach I spoke to a young man who was handing out fliers for Sansuk. I brought up the issue of attracting Thais. He informed me that the policy already is as follows:

Admission for Thais age 25 or less: Free

Admission for Thais age 26 or more: 90 baht

I asked if there is a clientele of boys yet. He said last night about 20 boys showed up and word is quickly spreading among the boys about the free admission. He also said the best time to come, if you are looking for boys, is after 8:00PM.

Good news, gents. It will not be necessary to make the suggestion to Sansuk. They've beaten us to it.

Today at the beach I spoke to a young man who was handing out fliers for Sansuk. I brought up the issue of attracting Thais. He informed me that the policy already is as follows:

I asked if there is a clientele of boys yet. He said last night about 20 boys showed up and word is quickly spreading among the boys about the free admission. He also said the best time to come, if you are looking for boys, is after 8:00PM.

See you there at 8:30. We really should support a new business, Correct ?????????? :)

john

Curiosity got the better of me and this evening I went to Sansuk to give it a try.

First, I have some additions and corrections to my original post:

1. I had said that you cannot see into the exercise room. Wrong. Yes you can, from the pool side. I asked how I could possibly have failed to see that when I first visited. It turned out that they had it curtained off when I was there and I did not realize the exercise room was right behind the curtains.

2. Behind the pool there is a Jacuzzi. It's large and quite nice and bubbly, but it's a cold water Jacuzzi. I hope they decide to heat it.

3. As you face the Jacuzzi from the main lounge area, to the left there is a second steam sauna that I had not noticed before. It's small, but it's there. It's a herbal steam room.

4. I had posted about the volume of the large screen television. I was right about the volume being turned down during business hours. You would have to be right next to it to hear it, thank goodness.

5. The locker system is exactly like the Babylon. When you arrive you will be given a key and locker number attached to a wrist band. If you order anything to eat or drink, the fee will be charged to your locker number. When you are ready to leave the sauna, you turn in your key at the front desk and that's where and when you pay your food/bar bill.

6. When I visited the first time I was told they do have over-size towels for those of us who also are over-size. Well, no they don't. The towels are all standard size even if you ask for an over-size towel. So, if you happen to have too much extra padding to be able to wrap a standard size towel around yourself, then you better bring a large enough towel with you.

The worst part was me going around the sauna in a towel. How nauseating. I'm only grateful there aren't many mirrors there. So, if you happen to be there while I'm there, you better bring a few barf bags. Unfortunately, the sauna doesn't supply them.

7. I was wrong about having no seating in the main steam room. Yes they do, on each end of the room. However, there is what I consider to be a design flaw. I sat down on the bench seat on the entrance side of the room. Apparently steam is sent out from directly underneath the bench seat. It nearly scalded my legs. I think they ought to do something about that, if they can. The other side of the room is fine, but if you sit down on the entrance side, be careful about the steam. Also, make sure you have a towel wrapped around you if you sit down on that side. The bench seat gets so hot that you can easily burn yourself without the towel insulating your skin from the bench seat.

The main steam room is lit with subdued light, but not subdued enough. You can see from one side of the room to the other. I think it should be much darker in there.

There seemed to be an equal number of Thais and "farang" this evening. Not one of the Thais were money boys. A couple of them had no inhibitions about total nudity at the pool or in the steam room. However, nude swimming in the pool is not allowed.

The staff consists of some very cute boys. If you frequent the beach you'll probably recognize some of them. Sorry, no "off" is allowed and they are not allowed to accompany you in a privacy room, but they are at liberty to make arrangements with you during their non-working hours.

Several people were having dinner there, although I did not take a look at what they were eating and did not look at the menu.

Punya, the owner, was there this evening and is perfectly willing to listen to and consider suggestions.

I think the biggest problem that needs to be overcome is transportation. Unless you like hiking up and down the long, steep hill from Thappraya Road to get there, then most of you will need to get there on a motorcycle taxi. That gets you there., but I saw no motorcycle taxis to get you back where you came from when you leave, so that means a hike all the way back up the hill to get to a motorcycle taxi or baht bus.

All in all, I think Sansuk is definitely worth a try. Again, do not expect a clone of Babylon, but it was a very enjoyable experience and I'll be there again . . . . I come for the waters. :p

Guest Kregger

OK, the discounts are great, but I am offended by the double pricing based on being Thai. So, a rich fat 60 year old Thai queen has his driver drive up in a Mercedes pays 90 baht while the farang pensioner who arrives by baht bus and walks pays 180 baht and more?

The discounts should be based on AGE only. Enough of the racist double pricing.

I can see a discount for all men 30 and under of any nationality and free for those 25 and under. Most of these will be Thai, but some won't. Yes, some young gay Russians are richer than the average farang, but that isn't the point. The point is getting hot young male meat in the sauna. Racist policies do the same thing, but they are not necessary to accomplish the same result.

I doubt this will change now and I am happy for all the free Thai boys going, but this is just racist.

OK, I know many will disagree with me on this, but if you live in Pattaya, you probably know what I mean. See a white face, baht in the eyes ...

BTW, I am not implying that the owner of this new sauna is a racist. I doubt that he is. He is a businessman and he is just going along with the Pattaya flow. The examples are everwhere. But someone like the owner who lived in America for several years should really have learned that this kind of racism is just wrong.

Now, if racism is wrong, why isn't ageism wrong? Thats a good question. In the case of an age discount for a sauna, it is more of a supply and demand ECONOMIC decision. The older ones demand the younger ones, and the younger ones respond well to the INCENTIVE of a cheaper or free price. Very few older customers will be offended by a sauna filled with young bathing beauties, but most will not like a geriatric sauna.

BTW, this isn't the only racist pricing policy in Thai gay saunas. I believe the GSM sauna in Bangkok practices anti farang double pricing as well. I would suppose there are many others, especially with the more Thai oriented saunas in Bangkok.

I still think we should support this new sauna. The owner has taken a great business risk to bring something new and possibly wonderful to gay Pattaya. He does deserves credit for that.

Sadly, the racist pricing policies leave a bad taste in my mouth, but perhaps there is something tasty for my mouth at the sauna to compensate!

I don't understand your post, Kregger. Above you wrote, "So, please, Punya, get with the program and offer a SPECIAL PRICE for the YOUNG MEN (say 18 to 30 or 35) who just happen to be Thai." Now it seems that you are upset because he did just that. I don't get it.

Guest Kregger

I don't understand your post, Kregger. Above you wrote, "So, please, Punya, get with the program and offer a SPECIAL PRICE for the YOUNG MEN (say 18 to 30 or 35) who just happen to be Thai." Now it seems that you are upset because he did just that. I don't get it.

The quote is correct. I suggested a discount for YOUNG MEN, based on AGE.

In Pattaya, most of them would happen to be THAI.

That is fine, but excludes young men who are NOT Thai, and also provides a discount for ALL Thai men, of ANY AGE.

I suggested a discount based on AGE, not a discount based on RACE. I can well understand how you misinterpreted my sentence; I take full blame for not composing it more clearly.

Discounts based on AGE are not racist, because they include young men of any and all stripes.

My opinion is that in the context of a gay sauna, AGEISM is well justified, while RACISM is both not justified and not necessary.

Any more questions?

To repeat the racist pricing poliicy as reported above:

Farangs: 180 baht

We can't do a thing about some of the anti-farang mafias (like the baht bus transport mafia) in Pattaya, but we can speak up when a Thai who is catering to our community joins this racist club.

Guest Kregger

Only one. Have you considered contacting Punya to let him know your opinion?

You don't think he reads this board?

Do people agree with me or disagree with me?

I am only one person with one opinion. Perhaps most of you are so used to this flavor of Thai racism that you are either used to it, tolerate it, or even agree with it. I do know the path of least resistance in Thailand is to do a bigger ATM withdrawal, smile bigger, wai higher, and open a new jar of vasoline.

I am not really mad or upset about the sauna pricing policy, more like disappointed and rather surprised that a Thai who lived in America for many years would not have learned to become sensitive about race issues.

Also, I do realize that some of my words here sound inflammatory. The use of the word racism. Well, it is generally known that almost all Thai nationals are Asian race, while the vast majority of gay expats and tourists are caucasion. Now, to be fair, there are exceptions. The pricing policy in theory would also apply to Singaporeans and Malaysians, so a defense could be made against what I am saying based on that. Its a bit messy, but the mess could easily be avoided with an AGE based policy only.

You don't think he reads this board?

Do people agree with me or disagree with me?

I have no idea whether he reads this board or not, or how often he reads boards at all, if ever.

I can't speak for others, but I agree with you in part because he has nothing much to lose. There is not exactly a huge number of gay "farang" under the age of 25 who come to Pattaya in the first place, so I don't see why it would be an issue for him.

It is also possible that he already does let people under age 25 in free no matter what their race. I was told "Thai" by the person handing out the fliers. I never even talked about it with Punya. I talked to a worker during my initial visit about towel sizes. He got it wrong, so only Punya himself can provide a truly reliable answer.

Even if he restricts the discount to Thais only, his motivation might not have anything to do with preferential treatment. He may be letting them in at greatly reduced prices just to get Thai boys to come there at all which, of course, also serves the purpose of attracting "farang." If he was charging them the same price that "farang" pay, few, if any boys, would be able to afford to come.

Most of the boys have to get there by motorcycle taxi too. If they had to spring for a motorcycle taxi, to and from, and also pay 180 baht to get in (which will eventually be raised to 250 baht once the introductory period is over) then I doubt that many would come at all. For the average "farang," the price is no big deal, but for the average Thai boy, especially those under age 25, that is a huge chunk out of their income. Personally, I'd rather see a bunch of boys at the sauna then it end up being patronized only by "farang" and Thais who can afford the price of admission.

In any case, that's why I asked if you are considering contacting him personally. Unless you do, there is no way to know for sure what's behind the pricing policy or whether he will consider changing his policy. I suppose you could leave it to others to ask him about it or merely assume that he reads this board, but to me he who raises the issue ought to be the one to check into it.

Guest Kregger

I agree a sauna wth plenty of younger guys is what we all want!

Frankly, I would want to gauge whether there is a consenus in agreement with me before bothering to directly contact the owner. I wouldn't presume that there is.

If people don't give a flying fukc, then so be it.

Guest GaySacGuy

I don't believe that there would be many less than 25 years old that are non-Thai, so that part is probably a non issue. As to the older Thais receiving a break...not much to do about it when government facilities are doing that very thing. I don' agree with it, but don't expect it to change either. :huh:

Guest Kregger

I don't believe that there would be many less than 25 years old that are non-Thai, so that part is probably a non issue. As to the older Thais receiving a break...not much to do about it when government facilities are doing that very thing. I don' agree with it, but don't expect it to change either. :huh:

Your last point isn't really logical.

There is a reasonable rationale for Thai national parks to be cheaper for Thais. Thais own these parks, foreigners don't.

There is no rationale for a commercial business to do this.

Well, there is a rationale that the Thais doing this will say: you have big money, your money strong. What a crock. Like there aren't poor farangs and rich Thais.

And if we are talking under 30 discounts, there certainly would be other nationalities that might go: Lao, Burmese, Singapore, Malaysia, Russia, China, India, even the odd farang.

But this is typical. More and more businesses practise this kind of racism and people don't seem to care. Just today I was at a DVD store that was clearly practising double pricing, so when I called his prices expensive, he said this to me:

If farang no have big money, no welcome in Thailand (and the shithead said this with a big smile on his face).

He seemed to have no idea that this was a very rude and insulting thing to say, so I just walked away from the shop.

I personally have money enough but the walking ATM syndrome really does seem to be getting worse over the years.

I don't disagree with you, Kregger, but this thread is supposed to be about the Sansuk sauna. I'd like to keep the thread on topic. I believe all sides have made their point about the pricing policy. If you would like to get into a discussion about double pricing in Thailand, please open a new thread and let's stick to commentary about the Sansuk sauna on this thread.

Guest Kregger

I don't disagree with you, Kregger, but this thread is supposed to be about the Sansuk sauna. I'd like to keep the thread on topic. I believe all sides have made their point about the pricing policy. If you would like to get into a discussion about double pricing in Thailand, please open a new thread and let's stick to commentary about the Sansuk sauna on this thread.

Fair enough, but since the new sauna is apparantly practising double pricing based on race (or Thai nationality if you want to be generous), it seems a related topic.

Guest Kregger

I have not been to the new sauna yet.

Can anyone say if the racist pricing policy is POSTED in the entrance?

In my experience, these kinds of racist pricing policies at saunas are not posted, just enforced. That way they can be hidden better, because even the owners usually know it is wrong.

On the other hand, in saunas where there is a promotion based on AGE, such promotions are widely advertised, because both the young and the old see this is a good thing.

I was speaking with 5 Thai guys ( 3 of the 5 had been there) some of whom said they were too shy to go to Sansuk because there were no doors on the showers.

I discussed the idea that Thia guys should enter for free which was seen as an excellent idea and one guy suggested that Punya charge an entrace fee based on weight, the heavier you are the more you pay.

The concensus of the group I was with was that the Pattaya farang should pay for sex as they were no longer in their prime.(my translation) and that they would go to the sauna for sex with Thais or for sex for money with farang.

Incidentally The House of Male (a Chiang Mai sauna) operates a cheaper rate for Thais every day. On the counter written in Thai is a notice in small Thai writing is the rate which from memory is 100 Baht. If the Thai enters with a farang then they will try and charge the farang rate,. which is 160?

They also have their special promotion 2 for 1 nights.

Aw c'mon guys. Is this really an issue in the case of a sauna? Would you prefer the price to be set on that basis of looks? I remember a bathhouse in the US where the doorman required you to lift your shirt before entering and if you sported a six pack, your entry fee was reduced, if your stomach was flat you paid the regular fee, and if your stomoach protruded too much you were denied entry. Face it, the business of a place like Sanuk Sauna is the sexual appeal of the customers. As most farang and older Thais come here for the delights provided by young Thais, it makes sence to give them (the youngsters) an incentive to enter. I would, if I was the owner.