Gaybutton

Bangkok - And Bomb Scare in Pattaya

I just returned from two days in Bangkok. I did not look at the Internet at all until now. A quick scan of the message board and what do I see? The usual bickering and arguing about Ear Wig posts. Sigh . . . .

Ok, first there have been reports about a bomb planted at the Big-C Central festival in North Pattaya. I first heard about it while I was in Bangkok. A friend in Pattaya called me and told me that his Thai language teacher told him that the Thai press was reporting this, but the English language press did not report it. I found that somewhat unusual because the English language press doesn't seem to have any problems reporting everything else.

I checked the PATTAYA CITY NEWS and their article says the rumor was not true. Here is their article:

_____

Rumors of a Bomb in Pattaya Discounted After Car Fire in North Pattaya.

The Rumor Mill was working hard earlier this week as word spread of a bomb which had exploded in North Pattaya just hours after the bombs in Bangkok. This rumor was found to be untrue and we can now explain to you exactly what happened. At around 1am on New Years Day, Khun Natapoom aged 46 a local food vendor was driving his car to Naklua when he noticed a gaseous odor from the front of his vehicle. It became more intense and Khun Natapoom decided to pull over. As a precaution he turned off the valve on his LPG Tank located in the boot of his car. Soon flames began to emanate from the engine which soon turned into an inferno which was brought under control by firefighters soon after their arrival. Khun Natapoom explained to us that he had brought the car 10 months ago and had recently converted it so it could use the much cheaper LPG instead of gasoline. Fire Fighters tell us that a fault in the gas supply line was to blame for the fire. All rumors suggesting it was a planned explosion were quickly discounted.

_____

You can see the article and photos of the car fire at: http://www.pattayacitynews.net/news_03_01_50_2.htm

_____

In Bangkok, there have been no further bombings. I saw a marked increase of police and soldier presence at the major MRT and BTS stops, but only at those stops. All the other stations appeared as always.

In some areas of Bangkok there are police roadblocks. I was stopped at one. It was at night. The police officers shined a flashlight into my car for a quick check and then smiled, thanked us, and sent us on our way. They did not ask us to open the trunk of the car (or 'boot' to the Brits out there).

I stayed at the Pinnacle Hotel. The Pinnacle has increased it's security precautions and I imagine other Bangkok hotels are doing something similar. Since I do not stay in hotels in Pattaya, perhaps someone who is presently in a Pattaya hotel can tell us if anything similar is the case. Here is the security notice the Pinnacle is posting in all their rooms:

_____

Dear Guests and Visitors,

As a result of the recent incident of the 31st December in Bangkok, we are implementing the following measurements for your security.

1) All persons wishing to visit guests of the hotel are requested to provide their identification (I.D) at the front desk.

2) Guests are required to meet their visitor(s) in the lobby in order for the visitor(s) to be permitted to the room.

3) Visitors who have been granted access onto the premises will be issued a Visitor Pass against their identification (I.D). This Pass must be carried by the visitor while on the premises and returned to the front desk in exchange of the I.D. upon leaving the hotel.

The above policy is intended for your utmost safety while staying at the Pinnacle Hotel. We thank you for your co-operation while this policy is in effect and regret any inconvenience this may cause.

Sincerely,

Thanomsri Markmool

Hotel Manager

_____

I was with a friend who was going to have a boy meet him at the hotel. The boy arrived at midnight. The security precautions were done and the hotel did not ask for a joiner fee.

Guest wowpow

I note that the Pinnacle have also increased the security of their mini-bars. Customers now have to make a 1000 baht deposit.

*On departure you go to the cashier

*She telephones the maid to check the mini bar

*The maid phones back no sales - not at those crazy prices

* Cashier writes out a refund ducument

*You sign the document

* A copy of the document and your 1000 baht is returned.

* It only takes about 14 minutes

I note that the Pinnacle have also increased the security of their mini-bars. Customers now have to make a 1000 baht deposit.

Apparently that's only if you're unlucky. I was not asked for any kind of deposit at all when I checked in. When I checked out I was asked if I had taken anything from the mini-bar. They took my word for it when I answered. There was no waiting at all.