Gaybutton

Bombings and the Effect on Tourism

The following appears in THE NATION:

_____

Hardy Tourists Undeterred by Drama, Warnings

Several foreign governments issued travel warnings for their citizens yesterday after the bombs in Bangkok on New Year's Eve, which killed three and injured 37.

Australia, Great Britain, Canada, New Zealand and the United States all issued travel advisories to their citizens to stay at home and avoid moving about the city. They also warned that more attacks were possible in coming days.

New Zealand's foreign ministry issued a travel warning saying there was some risk to security and recommended tourists to exercise "a high degree of caution" in Bangkok following the bombings.

The ministry on its travel safety website advised New Zealanders in Bangkok to avoid unnecessary travel within the city and said terrorist attacks may also occur elsewhere in Thailand, including tourist areas.

Australia's Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade also issued a travel advisory on its website, saying: "There is a possibility of further attacks in coming days. Australians are urged to avoid unnecessary travel in Bangkok."

Earlier, the United Kingdom's Foreign Office warned British travellers not to travel around Bangkok "unless absolutely necessary".

Other countries also warned their nationals via CNN broadcasts to exercise extra caution when travelling in Thailand.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs called a meeting yesterday to prepare an explanation to other countries about what happened.

They also distributed an English translation for embassies here of Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont's comments to the media, following his meeting at the Internal Security Operations Command headquarters on Sunday night.

Three Serbian, two British, and four Hungarian tourists were among the wounded.

Meanwhile, Tourism and Sports Minister Suvit Yodmani said he had instructed Tourism Authority of Thailand offices worldwide to explain the bombs and to formulate working plans to restore confidence in Thailand.

Suvit yesterday visited badly injured tourist Marina Kovassco, from Hungary, who is being treated at Bumrungrad Hospital.

Kovassco was recovering from surgery but did not have a leg amputated, as widely reported earlier. She was one of two foreigners still in hospital.

Agence France-Presse reported that, while some tourists admitted to being stunned by the bombings, others said they would not let them ruin their holidays.

Emi Supati, 37, from Singapore, in Bangkok to see in the New Year with his wife, said he was stunned when he heard about the Central World Plaza bomb. They had walked by the site of the blast half an hour before it happened, he said.

"We wanted to enjoy the party, but it hasn't happened that way."

Karmen Skender, a tourist from Slovenia, backed the government's decision to cancel the New Year party.

"For those who were victims and their families, they will definitely think it's appropriate," she said.

_____

The following appears in the BANGKOK POST:

_____

Bomb Victims and Medical Staff Receive Royal Support

ACHARA ASHAYAGACHAT APIRADEE TREERUTKUARKUL

Their Majesties the King and Queen yesterday gave bouquets of flowers to injured victims of the New Year's Eve bomb explosions, and extended their moral support to medical staff taking care of the victims. HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn delivered the flowers to the wounded victims being treated at Rajavithi and Chulalongkorn hospitals.

At Rajavithi Hospital, the princess wished Samruay Sidao, who broke his left arm and sustained serious injuries to his legs, a rapid recovery.

Mr Samruay, one of more than a dozen victims from the blast at the Victory Monument, was being treated in the hospital's intensive care unit.

His mother, Somlim Sidao, said she felt grateful for Their Majesties' sympathy for her son, but she was deeply worried about his condition. She had rushed to Bangkok from the northeastern province of Si Sa Ket to take care of him.

''I don't know where to sleep and how to shoulder the expense during my stay in Bangkok because I don't have any relatives here,'' she said.

Yesterday was a day of mourning and worrying for relatives of those killed and wounded in the blasts. Many of the wounded were still in critical condition.

Srilak Unaiban, wife of Suvichai Nak-iam, 61, cried as she arrived at Chulalongkorn Hospital to claim the body of her dead husband.

Suvichai, caretaker of a Chinese shrine in Klong Toey, was killed by a piece of shrapnel which pierced his heart.

Ms Srilak made a plea for a stop to violent attacks on innocent people, saying she wished her family would be the last to suffer from such inhuman acts.

Nathapong Kanchana said the death of his cousin Songkran Kanchana, who was fatally wounded in the blast at the Victory Monument, was proof that Bangkok was no longer a safe place.

''Any innocent passer-by could become a victim of violence and a bomb explosion here,'' he said before accompanying Songkran's body to a funeral rite in the northern province of Uttaradit.

A wounded British tourist, however, said such attacks would not stop him from visiting Thailand again. Paul Hewitt, 55, said he didn't blame Thai people and authorities for what had happened.

''It is a worldwide thing. It happens here as it happens in London and Madrid. Everywhere in the world is unsafe now. But it will not stop me from coming here again,'' said Mr Hewitt.

The Briton was admitted to the Police General Hospital after a bomb exploded near Gaysorn Plaza shopping mall. He was discharged late yesterday morning.

Thailand was a big place and he was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time, said Mr Hewitt, who arrived a week ago for a three-month holiday.

Mr Hewitt yesterday met Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont, who visited bomb victims at the hospital. A total of six foreigners were treated at the Police General Hospital _ two Britons, three Serbs and a Hungarian. All of them have been discharged except Jovan Stoganovic, a 34-year-old Serb who suffered eye injuries, and Marianna Kovacs, a 35-year-old Hungarian tourist who was transferred to Bamrungrad Hospital.

_____

The following appears in the BANGKOK POST:

_____

Tourism industry Seeks to Limit Damage from Bombing

By Post reporters

The tourism industry has gone into damage control mode following the string of bombings that stunned Bangkok on New Year's Eve. Many countries are advising their citizens not to come here unless absolutely necessary, or at the least to limit travel within the country and avoid crowded venues.

They included Australia, Britain, Canada, New Zealand and the United States. They issued travel advisories to their citizens in Bangkok to stay at home and avoid moving about the city.

They also warned that more attacks were possible in coming days.

The British foreign office advised against all but essential travel within the country and said the southern-most insurgency-hit provinces of Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat should be completely avoided.

Two British nationals injured in the bombings were released from the Police General Hospital yesterday after treatment.

The US embassy said no American citizens were killed or injured in the explosions.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Kitti Wasinondh said the ministry had kept all embassies and consulates abreast of the situation in Bangkok through its internet website.

The ministry was also working with various agencies and embassies on ensuring help for injured foreigners.

Tourism Minister Suvit Yodmani conceded there would certainly be a short-term impact on tourism in Thailand. Many foreign travellers had already cancelled flights to Thailand after hearing about the bombings.

Mr Suvit said the long-term impact would be minimised if the government did not allow the situation to deteriorate.

If foreign tourists' confidence could be regained after the tsunami disaster, why can't they do it now? he said.

Meanwhile, the ministry was also making sure the injured foreigners were given the best available medical treatment.

Santi Vilassakdanont, chairman of the Federation of Thai Industries (FTI) said the bombings would certainly be a psychological turn-off for holiday-makers, especially during the month of January.

Mr Santi called on the respective agencies to explain the situation clearly and quickly to foreigners.

The FTI would meet later this week to evaluate the overall impact of the attacks on the economy. A clear timetable for political reform and disbursement of the 2007 budget would certainly help stimulate economic growth.

The New Zealand warning is the most detailed, warning its citizens to exercise a high degree of personal security awareness about possible terrorist action in Thailand generally, particularly in public and commercial areas, including landmark places known to be frequented by foreigners, public transport facilities, hotels, bars and shopping areas," the ministry said on its travel safety website.

Obviously it remains to be seen how much of an effect the bombing incident will have on tourism and the exchange rates. It seems clear to me that one of the goals of the terrorists was to have a dramatic impact on both. If there are more bombing incidents, and some Thai government officials are warning to expect more, then it will probably have just the impact the terrorists want. If some time goes by without further incidents, then many will probably view this as a one-time incident, not likely to be repeated.

These bombs were set to go off at approximately 6:00 PM on New Year's Eve, primarily in crowded shopping areas. That may explain why an area such as Patpong was not targeted. That is still early enough in the evening that it would not yet be teeming with tourists.

The grenade incident in Chiang Mai may not have been politically motivated. The Thai press is reporting that the grenade was tossed by two teens riding by on a motorcycle. That sounds more like an attempt at a prank to me, but nobody can know that for sure yet.

If there are no more bombing incidents, then when the banks reopen on Wednesday I'm guessing that there will be a weakening of the Thai baht for a few days, but then it will settle right back to where it has been for the past couple of weeks. If there are more incidents, then I would expect to see the baht seriously weaken.

Only time will tell what affect these particular attacks will have on tourism. Certainly they will have minimal effect on Thailand-o-philes, but those who were planning their first trip to Thailand, or those looking for a short stay for some R&R and shopping, especially families, may think again and choose somewhere else where the perception of safety is higher.

Sadly now, these attacks, regardless of who carried them out, have created the perception that Thailand is not as safe as it was, and that there is a real possibility that one may get caught up in something nasty if one should go there. This perception will only be strengthened if additional attacks are carried out in the Thai capital, or against a popular tourist destination like Phuket or Pattaya.

What I think is holding things back from all out panic at the moment are that this attack was not the bloodbath that the Bali attacks were some years ago, or that similar attacks in Madrid, Bombay and London were. If that had of happened, then the situation on the ground today would be very different indeed. These were relatively small bombs and as such they were not capable of causing large scale property damage and personal injury. That may have been the intention of the bombers

Guest wowpow

"U K Foreign & Commonwealth Office advice 2nd January "Still Current at: 2 January 2007

Updated: 2 January 2006

Thailand

This advice has been reviewed and reissued with amendments to the Summary and Terrorism/Security section. The overall level of the advice has not changed.

SUMMARY

* A number of bombs exploded in Bangkok on 31 December 2006. There is a possibility of further attacks in coming days. British Citizens are advised to exercise caution when travelling within Bangkok and wherever possible to avoid crowded public places.

* We advise against all but essential travel to, or through, the far southern provinces of Pattani, Yala, Narathiwat and Songkhla, where there is continuing violence due to insurgency and civil unrest. Since January 2004, there have been regular attacks including bombings and shootings. There were eight explosions in Yala Province on 9 November 2006 injuring 13 people. The Thai Government has declared a serious state of emergency in the provinces of Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat.

I checked the Australian and US Government advice for travellers and it is similar.

* There is a high threat from terrorism throughout Thailand. Attacks could be indiscriminate and against places frequented by foreigners....."

Guest luvthai

As someone who loves thailand and its people, I will still plan my late march/april trip. I will however be more careful of crowded places and maybe check out some new places that are a little more subdued. I know that one can never understand the mind of a terrorist and how they can justify hurting women and children but one can try to limit the danger potential. I feel that if it was aimed at the tourist that the airports would have been the prime target. lets hope we have seen the last of the bombs.

Guest damien500

As someone who loves thailand and its people, I will still plan my late march/april trip. I will however be more careful of crowded places and maybe check out some new places that are a little more subdued. I know that one can never understand the mind of a terrorist and how they can justify hurting women and children but one can try to limit the danger potential. I feel that if it was aimed at the tourist that the airports would have been the prime target. lets hope we have seen the last of the bombs.

Guest wowpow

I wonder if the UK and other countries Foreign Offices advice was to avoid visiting Bangkok for a short period?

The current advice I posted above but I see headlines in the the UK press such as :

"Britons advised to stay away from Bangkok

Alexandra Topping

Tuesday January 2, 2007

The Guardian

Some 750,000 Britons travel through Bangkok each year, but yesterday the Foreign Office was warning them to avoid the city. Travel advice posted on the Foreign Office website late on New Year's Eve warned Britons that: "A number of bombs exploded in Bangkok on 31 December 2006. There is a possibility of further attacks in coming days. British citizens are advised not to travel within Bangkok unless absolutely necessary, until further notice ... There is a high threat from terrorism throughout Thailand...."

Full article http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/st...1981076,00.html

In the UK as soon as the New Year starts the holiday companies glossy brochures start coming through the letterboxes encouraging bookings for Spring and Summer Holidays. It looks like a lean year ahead for Thai tourism.

Having been an hotel Manager in both London and Birmingham during the IRA terrorst activities, I have seen the effects of bombs on tourism. Bookings plummet then the hotels and airlines offer bargain prices to fill their empty spaces and eventually things pick up. It usually takes about a year of no further incidents for tourism to substantially recover and about 3 years to reach the former volumes. This is what happened in Bali as well.