Gaybutton

Anti Coup Radicals Blamed for Bombings

The following appears in the BANGKOK POST:

_____

Suspicion Falls on Thaksin Allies

New Year's Eve bombings were organized by figures within the previous regime: Surayud, Sonthi

People who lost power when the Thaksin Shinawa-tra regime was overthrown were behind the string of bombs in Bangkok on Sunday - not insurgents from the South, Prime Minister Surayud Chula-nont and junta chief Sonthi Boonyaratglin said yesterday.

Four former aides and top officials to Thaksin, including the former PM's Secretary Dr Prommin Lertsuridej and former deputy PM Chidchai Vanasatidya, have been summoned for questioning.

But none has reported to the authorities so far.

The Council for National Security planned to train owners of petrol stations, super-markets and factories, plus their workers, as security guards to help prevent what Sonthi called the "new threat" in urban areas.

"The military has been trained to handle this type of threat and urban sabotage for two years since we have known it could happen in our country," he said.

"We've got some links to the masterminds but never expected they would do something like this. They wanted to hurt the economy, spoil political and social stability," Sonthi said.

Eight bombs went off in several areas of Bangkok on New Year's Eve, killing three people and injuring 37, including nine foreigners.

"The bombers were ill-intentioned people who want to create a political impact. I would like all Thais to be aware of their intentions and that they want to create a scenario of politically instability in Thailand," Surayud said during a press conference at the office of Internal Security Operations Command (Isoc).

Prime Minister Surayud called an Isoc meeting with all concerned security agencies to discuss the situation while Sonthi - just back from the Hajj in Saudi Arabia - called a CNS meeting yesterday.

Officials have beefed up security at public places in the capital, including the new airport and bus terminals, as a lot of people are due to return from trips to see their families today and tomorrow.

Surayud said his claim was based on evidence - residue in the explosives, plus the location and timing of the blasts.

However, he refused to say clearly whether "the people who lost political benefits" referred to followers of the ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra or not.

The pattern of explosions and situation suggested the bombs in Bangkok were not linked to on-going violence in the deep South, Sonthi said.

"The militants are in trouble, even in Yala. I don't think they would come here as they could get lost in Bangkok," Sonthi told reporters.

Thaksin, who is now in exile and currently in China, strongly denied insinuations he was involved in the deadly bomb blasts. He suggested it may have been the work of Muslim separatists from the deep South, his lawyer said.

"Thaksin strongly rejects the allegations and said that his government, which came from the people, would not hurt its people," Noppadon Pattama said.

"The government should not rush to conclusions by trying to relate the attacks to previous governments. It is totally unfair and untrue," he said.

Noppadon said Thaksin warned coup leader General Sonthi some time ago to keep a close watch on militants from the far South in case they carried out bomb attacks in Bangkok.

And This, from TNA:

_____

BANGKOK, Jan 1 (TNA)

Politicians who have lost power are behind the planting of bombs which exploded on New Year's Eve evening in the Thai capital with an aim to create chaos and problem in the Kingdom, Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont said on Monday.

"Based on various reports of intelligence agencies and evidence available, it was the work of people who lost political benefits, but I cannot clearly say which particular group was behind it," the prime minister said.

Speaking to a press conference after meeting with senior security officials at the Internal Security Operations Command early Monday, Surayud said his government was deeply sorry for the incidents in which innocent people died, and property was damaged despite the measures concerned officials had planned to prevent any untoward incidents.

"These incidents have been copied from somewhere else," said Gen. Surayud who was installed by the military coup makers following their ousting of the elected government of prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra on September 19. "They were created by those who have lost power. The perpetrators wanted to have a political impact and make Thai people feel political instability."

Surayud, however, declined to say which particular group of politicians was responsible for Monday's nine bombs which killed three persons and wounded 38 others, including nine foreigners.

The prime minister said he believed that the explosions in the capital were unrelated to the ongoing violence in the deep South in which insurgents have been attacking officials and civilians on an almost daily basis since Jan 4, 2004 when militants raided an army depot and made off with weapons in Narathiwat province

Personally, I would have thought it was a bit premature to be ruling anybody in, or anybody out, as the culprits. But maybe they know something??

Personally, I would have thought it was a bit premature to be ruling anybody in, or anybody out, as the culprits. But maybe they know something??

Apparently, you are not alone in that. The following appears in THE NATION:

_____

Thai Rak Thai Demands Surayud to Name Culprits

The Thai Rak Thai Party Tuesday called on Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont to spell out names of those the premier believes were behind the string of Bangkok bomb attacks on New Year Eve.

Thai Rak Thai spokesman Sita Divari said Surayud had unfairly caused the public to suspect the Thai Rak Thai by simply stating that "the people who lost political benefits" were behind the attacks.

Sita said Surayud's statement would also influence police investigations because police would rule out other possibilities and would focus the probe in line with Surayud's theory.

"We call on Gen Surayud to disclose the names of those behind the attacks. The way he spoke without evidence caused the people to think that he took political opportunity while the people had suffered from untoward incidents," Sita said.

Guest BKKvisitor

The government's rush to judgement reminds me of how the Bush administration rushed to judgement in justifying its invasion of Iraq. With sketchy evidence and the infamous claim that it was a "slam dunk" that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction, the administration pushed its case in the media and before the UN. Now we have the coup leaders claiming that the evidence (bomb-making materials and techniques they admit are the same as those used by insurgents) actually constitutes proof that it's Thaksin supporters behind the attacks.

For their sake, they had better hope that it's not the insurgents. The Thaksin explanation strengthens the position of the coup leaders, buying them some time to get their house in order. However, if the insurgents claim credit, or no hard evidence surfaces connecting Thaksin people with the attacks, the government will be facing an uphill struggle.

The Thai police are usually quick to solve major crimes and equally quick to take credit. The get confessions in record time and the accused are paraded before the cameras for all to see. Strangely, at last up until now, we see none of that "efficiency" despite the fact that the attacks took place in the open with many people about.

Stay tuned. This promises to be entertaining.

Yes indeed. I am reminded of some Shakespeare that seems particularly apt for both the Bush Administration and General Sonthi.

What a tangled web we weave when first we set out to deceive - or something like that.

Yes indeed. I am reminded of some Shakespeare that seems particularly apt for both the Bush Administration and General Sonthi.

" ... What a tangled web we weave when first we set out to deceive ... " - or something like that.

Not Shakespeare . . . Sir Walter Scott.

From Marmion:

"In brief, my lord, we both descried

(For then I stood by Henry's side)

The Palmer mount, and outwards ride,

Upon the earl's own favourite steed:

All sheathed he was in armour bright,

And much resembled that same knight,

Subdued by you in Cotswold fight:

Lord Angus wished him speed."

The instant that Fitz-Eustace spoke,

A sudden light on Marmion broke:

"Ah! dastard fool, to reason lost!"

He muttered; "'Twas nor fay nor ghost

I met upon the moonlight wold,

But living man of earthly mould.

O dotage blind and gross!

Had I but fought as wont, one thrust

Had laid De Wilton in the dust,

My path no more to cross.

How stand we now?--he told his tale

To Douglas; and with some avail;

'Twas therefore gloomed his rugged brow.

Will Surrey dare to entertain,

'Gainst Marmion, charge disproved and vain?

Small risk of that, I trow.

Yet Clare's sharp questions must I shun;

Must separate Constance from the nun -

Oh, what a tangled web we weave,

When first we practise to deceive!

A Palmer too!--no wonder why

I felt rebuked beneath his eye:

I might have known there was but one

Whose look could quell Lord Marmion."

Cheers ...

Guest Pearl69er

A delightful poem Smiles but ocassionally one can cut to the chase and possibly post just the relevant lines .

Still it does make a change from those damned trees with snow on them which you seem to think we are fascinated by . ( I preferred the pics with all those Thai people packed onto the back of a truck !)

cheers !!