reader

Mahakan fort now public park

e8a4de5100603433e14af089184cdc9d-sld.jpe

From Coconuts Bangkok

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) will reopen Mahakan Fort as the city’s new park at today, three months after the eviction of the centuries-old community inside the fort.

Bangkok Governor Asawin Kwanmuang said yesterday that the space inside the fort, which is now “spacious, green, peaceful, beautiful and safe,” will officially welcome the public at 5pm.

The fort was originally built in 1783 to protect the then-new capital city, which was established just a year prior to construction. Nowadays, Mahakan Fort is one of the only surviving walled fortresses that remain of the old city.

“From every angle, the fort’s elegance stands out, and you can see the city’s historic wall more clearly,” Asawin wrote on his official Facebook yesterday.

He hopes that the landmark with educate visitors about Thailand’s history, culture, and tradition.

The beginning of the capital’s new green space, however, grew out of a historic community’s bitter end. The land inside Mahakan Fort was once home to nearly 300 people whose proud stories dated back to the reign of King Rama III — 200 years ago — when servants of Thai aristocrats built their houses there in order to live close to their masters.

Continues with pics

https://coconuts.co/...ay-public-park/

NOTE -- The park is located not far from Democracy Monument BTS station.

Do we have Democracy Monument BTS station? I kind of doubt.

But fort is easy to get to as it's very close to terminal pier of Saen Saep canal  / khlong / boat. Golden Mount temple -on only hill of any size in Bangkok  is short walk from there  as well.

Do we have Democracy Monument BTS station? I kind of doubt.

Thanks for catching that. When I saw Democracy Monument on a map of area, my mind when to Victory Monument BTS which is no where nearby.

As I look at map now I see that the new Bangkok City Library is located close to the fort. May be worth a visit if you're in the area.

Sad to see the people who have been living there for generations be evicted.

But still, a park is better than a shopping center or condo tower.

+1

I found the people living in the fort very friendly and it was a favorite quaint place to visit.  I even have a small birdcage made there.  (The other product of the community was fireworks, which I thought impractical to purchase.  :)

Thanks, DM, for the above link. Particularly enjoyed links at the end of article that describe other new parks about town I wasn't aware of.

Too bad city administration couldn't work out an agreement with long-time fort residents. As a youngster, my family was forced out of our home by the "urban renewal" craze that swept many American cities 50 years ago. It paved the way for commercial deevelopment but also resulted in the destruction of the city center.  Politically-connect real estate interests made out fine, however.

Too bad city administration couldn't work out an agreement with long-time fort residents.

not for lack of trying if dispute lasted 59 years as per article quoted.

Before we shed tears for formed residents I'd wait 1 year and then talk to them.

I understand very well what you are saying about your childhood home, in place of one I was born in there's busy intersection now.

But my mother always said that if they weren't forced out  they would never move out of that dump - it was 19 century building with shared toilets in corridors and apartment was very sunny but only between 9 and 10 in the morning she liked to joke.