reader

Bangkok-Cambodia rail link nears

From Khmer Times

The section of the western railway line linking Poipet in Banteay Meanchey province to Battambang is now ready to be tested after the train stations were connected on Tuesday, with trial runs likely to happen before Khmer New Year, according to the Minister of Transport.

Speaking at the nation’s first official logistics forum on Tuesday, Minister of Transport and Public Works Sun Chanthol also announced that Thai counterparts have finished work on the section of the line that runs in Thailand, from Aranya Pratet in the border to Bangkok.

The western rail line is one of only two railways that exist in the kingdom. The other one, connecting Phnom Penh to Preah Sihanouk province in the coast, is already in service.

It is expected to play a key role in facilitating trade and the movement of people between Cambodia and Thailand, with leaders from both countries having publicly committed to tripling bilateral trade to $15 billion by the year 2020.

Trade between both countries was valued at $5.5 billion in 2017, a 10 percent increase year-on-year.

http://www.khmertimeskh.com/50108708/northern-section-of-cambodian-western-rail-line-ready-for-test/

Having ridden a "bamboo train" to the east of Battambang, I would say that stretch of line was in terrible condition & would need considerable work to take a train running at sensible speed. 

However, I do look forward to riding this route.   

On my first trip to Thailand, I took the train to Aranya Prathet, crossed over to Poipet & shared a taxi onto Siem Reap with a young Polish tourist met at the border.   Next time I try the train, I hope to complete more of the trip by train. 

Although, I suppose the customs will need to be well organized to ensure they do not create delays.

Next time I try the train, I hope to complete more of the trip by train. 

Although, I suppose the customs will need to be well organized to ensure they do not create delays.

I'm too  willing impatiently for such an opportunity but as crossing border all we can hope is to leave carriages with all luggage , being admitted on foot and then going back  to platform to board other side's train I'm afraid