Guest davidjewel

Hotel Recomendation

Guest Pearl69er

""5 star" is a worldwide recognized standard in hotels, that everyone understands"

On this board it looks like "5 star" means-"yet another opportunity to knock Earwig" !

That's crass.

but then so are many of the ordinary queens who frequent Pattaya :p

That's 2 "shoo's" now Gaybutton-for your 2 left feet.

Heyyyyy, I get that one too. Good ones, Pearl . . . I see you're keeping score.

Actually they're for each time, so far, that you've put your foot in your mouth, but you might as well keep it going until you have the whole shoe store in there.

That's my good one. If you think that joke was lousy, wait till the rest of them.

Ok, I'm sure we can all hardly wait to read all about what you write next about how Sunee Plaza is only a nest of vipers and for you to teach us all about what constitutes a good hotel. Here. I'll help you. A good hotel is anything that isn't near . . . shhh . . . Niddy's Nook. Right?

Guest Pearl69er

misquoting again Gaybutton " Sunee Plaza is only a nest of vipers ".

On the contary, I love Sunnee Plaza despite the vipers that inhabit the place ( they're just one of the dangers to be avoided there)-but then I'm an old snake charmer from way back.

David Jewel. There are a number of long threads over on Sawatdee Board, wherein people have asked questions about Sunee accommodations and Howards in particular during the past 2 years. Many posts for and against. Worth making a search with the keyword 'Howards'. Bucknaway for example (I believe a pal of yours) like myself, thought the beds too hard. Having tried both accommodations, I prefer Monty's... better rooms and location for my money, plus more farang to talk to or seek local advice from. But that's my opinion. But Jomtien now boasts decent inexpensive accommodations as described above if you are looking for an alternative to Boystown.

I would also add the Lek Hotel to my short list. It's a couple of blocks North of Boystown, not gay but staff and straight guests don't mind people like us. It's buffet restaurant is very popular and attracts non residents for breakfast. No joiners fees.

http://www.asiatravel.com/lek/index.html

Monty's Guest House,

I was at Monty's Guest House the other night when Stewart had his Renovation party so i asked him if there were going to be any changes from what Monty was Charging.

Stewart told me then that for the high season the large rooms are 700 Bht per night and the small rooms are 600 Bht per night all including Breakfast.

Discount deals can be done for longer periods of time ,and the rates will come down again from February to 600Bht and 500Bht a night which i was a little happier about :)

I said to Stewart that in the past there were sometimes changes to the conditions like xtra water and power charges etc to which he replied ( All conditions are agreed to prior to the booking being confirmed and that there are no add ons ).

Certainly the place is looking so much better than before with a new paint job and new Bar. It seams his B/F is very particular about keeping the place clean and fresh.

Stewart also said that whilst customers still have there own key for entrance and exit after the bar has closed he is looking at installing a electronic swipe card system, but in the mean time he is using the security next door to keep an eye on the place at night.

Certainly i could recommend staying there once again, now that a more professional approach is being applied.

www.montys-guesthouse.com

Have stayed at Ben Mansion & Howard's. Would recommend you see the room before staying there. If you are not interested in luxury accomodation they will suit. To suggest a 'star system' is tres droll.

Frankly; the major difference I see between either of these places and Ambiance or Le Caf

Guest Pearl69er

To be fair to Howards-even though it wasn't to me taste I can't fault it and the lift is unusual for a small hotel and was appreciated by me-with a dodgy leg.

If anyone stays at the new version of Monty's I hope they post an updated review.

Should we regard the bar in Montys as a self-contained boy bar or is it more or less reserved to people staying in the Guesthouse (sorry if this is a stupid question but I really wonder)

I think Monty's is more of a guesthouse. It's not a stupid question at all. I understand what you mean. I have not seen any of the rooms at Monty's since the renovations, but only yesterday I had a look at the exterior and the lobby area. I agree with "Brief's" post in which he says it is looking far better than before. It certainly does and would probably be a very good choice.

Guest ear wig

Quote from Brief :- "Certainly i could recommend staying there once again, now that a more professional approach is being applied."unquote

Thanks for the up date Brief, and its great news you now feel it is fit to live in & to hear No more sudden 100 baht a day water and electric charges for long stayers with out informing any one.from the manger.? not on for a B&B.

Yes your right Monty use to allow a few Free lance off boys to sit on the seats out side, making it like a host bar down stairs, not to my taste any of them ,but they use to keep many a guy happy especially before the pushy Manager got hold of the new farangs, it was funny to see the infighting, I hear he is still the manager now. ??? Hope they have new in room safes. use to be constant complaints about them.

This could be a gem of a place @ 4 or 500 baht a night, its only a budget accommodation no night security in building, but the rooms are a nice size and it is so quiet, but busy at the same time, like living in a good friends home from home and when Monty cooked and he was shall we say compos mantis, you could not fault it, as for clean and refurbished this can only make it near to a perfect place to stay,

Considering a 1/3 of the clientele were teachers having weekends off and vacations, you would do well to stick to your around 500 baht prices, because they will all go back to the NEW PARADISE INN 450 a night or 400 long term, with everything including a swimming pool for those on a budget.

Guest Pearl69er

It's good to hear that an oft-mentioned guest house has re-newed it's room safes ( having been a victiom of theft there) and that the new management is making the necessary changes. The previous Antipodean owner, although carrying Saintly status amongst some in Pattaya was very forgetful with his booking agreements when it came to mentioning extra charges that one doesn't usually encounter in a hotel or guest house.

It was about time someone pointed that that emperor had no clothes.

I think you incorrect Earwig about the many teachers from Bangkok who used the place as a weekender.I hear there is actually an increase in the ones planning to stay-word has got around about the positive new owner and an extra 100 baht or so is considered well worth it for piece of mind.

Guest ear wig

Sabier next door to Memeorie's & Eldorado''s and are 100 baht over the top for 500 a night no security, Inchat is a dump, but @ 300 for a night for long & short time also because if you give key back before 2 hours you get 100 baht back, very basic in deed.

Guest CurlyEye

This thread has a lot of valuable info. Thanks everyone who added to if for the less experienced among us. Such as me. :)

One question I have...what is the connection between Monty's Guesthouse and Montys Enchanted Hut? Also, where is the latter located exactly?

Guest ear wig

A man called Monty is running Enchanted Hut in jomtien Complex, he also use to run Montys B & B but has since sold it now owned and Run By Stewart who Im sure is doing a good job for a budget accommodation.

Worth a visit if they keep the prices budget Im sure you cant do better for the price.

Guest CurlyEye

Quote from Brief :- "Certainly i could recommend staying there once again, now that a more professional approach is being applied."unquote

Thanks for the up date Brief, and its great news you now feel it is fit to live in & to hear No more sudden 100 baht a day water and electric charges for long stayers with out informing any one.from the manger.? not on for a B&B.

Yes your right Monty use to allow a few Free lance off boys to sit on the seats out side, making it like a host bar down stairs, not to my taste any of them ,but they use to keep many a guy happy especially before the pushy Manager got hold of the new farangs, it was funny to see the infighting, I hear he is still the manager now. ??? Hope they have new in room safes. use to be constant complaints about them.

This could be a gem of a place @ 4 or 500 baht a night, its only a budget accommodation no night security in building, but the rooms are a nice size and it is so quiet, but busy at the same time, like living in a good friends home from home and when Monty cooked and he was shall we say compos mantis, you could not fault it, as for clean and refurbished this can only make it near to a perfect place to stay,

Considering a 1/3 of the clientele were teachers having weekends off and vacations, you would do well to stick to your around 500 baht prices, because they will all go back to the NEW PARADISE INN 450 a night or 400 long term, with everything including a swimming pool for those on a budget.

Where exactly in Sunee Plaza is New Paradise located? How would you rate the pool? To get a pool for the same price as a place with no pool seems pretty good. I have not stayed in Sunee since 2003 and the only pool I remember was on what I thought was upper Soi Sunee and when walking from Soi VC toward Soi Yensabai it was on the left, closer to the Soi VC end.

I think maybe this pool was the one that was more recently Monty's pool?

Guest CurlyEye

Where exactly in Sunee Plaza is New Paradise located? How would you rate the pool? To get a pool for the same price as a place with no pool seems pretty good. I have not stayed in Sunee since 2003 and the only pool I remember was on what I thought was upper Soi Sunee and when walking from Soi VC toward Soi Yensabai it was on the left, closer to the Soi VC end.

I think maybe this pool was the one that was more recently Monty's pool?

bump

I stayed in popotguesthouse in february. Room big enough with big shower and toilette. Some nights it was noisy from the karaoke. The bed could be better because like steel. I sleep mostly on the couch.Rooms have safe and good aircondition. I paid for 14 nights 7000baht. When they would change the bed and put a watercooker in the room i only would stay there. Downstairs is one always closed door of steel--so nobody can go in. You have your own key and no controls and no reception. you check in in the restaurant.