Jasper

Gun possession, use by foreigners to be banned

I never thought that it was legal.

By Bangkokpost

The National Legislative Assembly has passed amendments to the Firearms Act that will prohibit foreigners from seeking a permit to have and use a gun in Thailand. (File photo by Tawatchai Kemgumnerd) The...

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/security/1341415/gun-possession-use-by-foreigners-to-be-banned

post-15769-0-64954800-1507857335_thumb.jpeg

It surprises me, too. I've spoken to quite a few foreigners who own guns in Thailand over the years, but without exception, those were guys married to a Thai woman and the local authority insisted that the gun is registered in the Thai wife's name. I don't know any foreigner who managed to register a gun in his own name - it might not have been illegal outright, but at the very least officials seemed unwilling to do it.

Whilst reading the local Thai newspapers most gun crimes by foreigners in L.O.S. are English and Russian.

I'm not picking up on Americans , OP was about owning guns legally , not necessarily case when gun crime is considered.

But is seems to me that Americans love  to be proud owners of legal guns more than other nations.

I'm not picking up on Americans , OP was about owning guns legally , not necessarily case when gun crime is considered.

But is seems to me that Americans love  to be proud owners of legal guns more than other nations.

There is no doubt that American needs to seriously talk about guns.  The problem is that we are just to divided to talk.  If we tried to talk about this issue--even on this board of milk toast and expats---the whole thread would soon come crashing down.