reader

Long-haul flights

The current issue of Aviation Week magazine reports that the three US international carriers (America, Delta, United) are either cutting back, delaying delivery or both of orders for new, wide-body aircraft.

They're concentrating on their hugely profitable domestic routes and are comfortable to let their aging wide-bodies to fall into the 15-20 year-old range. Delta has cancelled all orders for Boeing 787's that had originally been placed by Northwest before the merger.

None of the US legacy airlines have direct service to Thailand, although you can still ticket with them for a code-share flight.  But even that is going to be more difficult as they curtail code sharing with the three major Middle East carriers over claims of fair subsidies.  Oddly, in the past few months Emirates, Etihad and Qatar have substantially raised business class fares where the competition had been fiercest.

Of the airlines offering one-stop service between major US airports and BKK, the Middle East trio,  All Nippon and Japan airlines are flying fairly new equipment.  If you're flying from the West Coast, expect more options.

The magazine also reports that Airbus is reducing production of the A380 jumbo to a dozen next year as airlines are opting for the twin-engine Airbus' A350 and A330neo and Boeing's 787 and new 777X equipment.

This Bloomberg News segment says China is likely to rival Hong Kong and Singapore for future international transit passengers.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-07-26/singapore-and-hong-kong-s-airport-dominance-is-under-threat

United is moving to using 787s for its transpacific routes and codes shares with ANA for Bangkok.  ANA has put a 787 on its Tokyo to BKK route (replacing a 777).  EVA from Taiwan is offering a one stop to BKK from the US.  There are still rumors (as there were a year ago) that Thai Airways will be returning to the US assuming it passes its safety review.

It's nice to have some choices but the planes still average 550 mph and a long haul is a loooooonnnnnnggg haul.

Good to hear that United is moving 787 onto its Tokyo route.

The 787 and the A350 are the only aircraft in commercial service using carbon-fiber construction,  This permits them to be pressurized to 5,000 ft. as opposed to the standard of 8,000 ft. on aircraft of aluminum construction.

On my last two flights I flew the A350 and I found it to be a more comfortable experience.  There was less dehydration and dryness of eyes.  Overall, I arrived at destination feeling less fatigued.

Having said that, agree that it's still a long haul.

There must be a glut of seats at least from the West Coast . Never seen lower fares . $632 on Cathy Pacific via HKG with great connections.

Even Business Class seats at $2252 on some airlines which I never remember seeing. It doesn't seem that long ago that economy fares could get close to $2000.

Good time to fly to BKK at least from the West Coast of the USA.

Now we should hope for lower travel time with direct flights again, although they come at a higher cost.  It is nice to have options.

I found up to 12 hours direct flight is blessing but more than that actually I like some kind of connection allowing to stretch legs for at least 2-3 hours in between planes

It's possible to find fares of less than $620 RT from Chicago as far out as December. ANA has a flight with a stop in Narita and a duration of about 24 hr. 

If your flying out of JFK, You can find a Cathay Pacific flight for under $600 (layover in Hong Kong) with a duration of about 21 hr.

It's a great opportunity if you can plan ahead.

From the USofA, fares go up, way up in December through New Year's and then drop back to the $600-700 range.

It's only $50 more for me to fly to BKK from San Francisco than to travel to Washington DC in January.  Given the weather in DC vs. Thailand (not to mention the government), looks like beach weather will win out.

From the USofA, fares go up, way up in December through New Year's and then drop back to the $600-700 range.

It's only $50 more for me to fly to BKK from San Francisco than to travel to Washington DC in January.  Given the weather in DC vs. Thailand (not to mention the government), looks like beach weather will win out.

It's amazing how much cheaper per mile it is to fly to Asia as opposed to flying within the US. 

I found up to 12 hours direct flight is blessing but more than that actually I like some kind of connection allowing to stretch legs for at least 2-3 hours in between planes

I always take a seat on the isle and get up many times to walk around in a long flight.  In flights served by another airline than the main one, where I cannot reserve seats online, I call them in advance and ask for a good isle seat for a senior (which I am) who needs frequent access to restrooms  :)

Looks like I got lucky this year---my three JFK-BKK trips are Premium Economy for under $1100 on China Airlines. Looking ahead to next year, it seems that it will be at least $1500 to as much as $2000 for the same service. For now at least, I am a SkyTeam captive, so I do not want to go EVA.

I am 6' 3", so I really do not want to fly coach on any airline, especially on a 16-hour JFK-Taipei flight. The legroom is terrible for me. Has anyone flown long-haul coach on a ten-abreast 777?

I always take a seat on the isle and get up many times to walk around in a long flight.  In flights served by another airline than the main one, where I cannot reserve seats online, I call them in advance and ask for a good isle seat for a senior (which I am) who needs frequent access to restrooms   :)

I do the same . on flights longer than 3 hours window seat is death trap for me . Not just  aisle seat but aisle seat in the middle section at end of aircraft is my preferred choice since I noticed quite often if plane is not full this is where  empty seats are .

It's great treat if one can stretch elbows beyond own armrest.

I suspect that that airlines are keeping track of frequent fliers preferred seatage as I usually get my favorite seats allocated by computer when I 'm doing check in on line , definitely is was a case in my last two trips with both Cathay Pacific and China Eastern.