reader

Nab Swampy baggage thieves

From Coconuts

Suvarnabhumi Airport caught two baggage handlers stealing money and accessories from passengers’ suitcases on Friday night as they were loading a plane.

Nattapon Thammarat, 20, is a newly-hired security guard who discovered the two alleged thieves. At around 6pm on Friday he became suspicious of two handlers loading luggage onto MH783, a Malaysia Airlines flight leaving Bangkok for Kuala Lumpur.

The baggage handlers in question were identified as Sitthichai Sawtiew, 24, and Piyapong Juisuwan, 28. Both were employed by Bangkok Flight Services Co. to handle checked baggage.

The pair were found carrying about CNY10,000 (or THB50,000). Bangkok Post reported that Piyapong allegedly stayed on the lookout, while Sitthichai allegedly took money from a passenger’s backpack.

A large piece of luggage, placed in a certain position, was used to block the security guard’s view.

Continues

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/busted-baggage-handlers-suvarnabhumi-airport-caught-stealing-passengers/

What sane and honest person would leave equivalent if 1600  USD in  a checked luggage ?

I count myself among stupid. Few years ago I obtained somewhat circuitous  miles award ticket from Prague to Madrid via Paris and  I had about 65 euros in various coins on me, quite a heavy load so I put it in the checked luggage. Sure , when picking up my suitcase at destination I noticed that zipper was moved from my habituary position. Sure I knew why immediately and was not wrong that time, LOL. Still it was 80,  not 1600 USD ? 

Still that guard needs to be applauded for being sharp eyed

I take a basic looking rucksack with no locks at all.   Nothing has gone missing so far, presumably as all my valuable items go in hand luggage.

Theoretically there might be some value in stealing used clothes, used sandals or a used shaver, but in the real world, I think they will be looking to steal more valuable goods.   

In the unlikely event that I ever made enough money to travel in first class, maybe the tag would bring more attention to this bag.  They would still be disappointed by the contents.  Right now, it's not a worry.

However, since I detest theft, I hope the people caught are fired and spend at least a year or so in Jail.  The right sort of deterrent needs to be in place.

I cannot imagine anyone checking in a bag from anywhere to anywhere without it being as securely locked as possible. What happened at Swampy happens all over the world. Its not that long ago that London Heathrow was nicknamed Thiefrow. 

As a447a points out most of the zipper bags so popular nowadays are quite easily opened and then resealed. When you take it off the conveyer belt, youd have no idea it had been opened. Some of these bags are much more secure than most, but then these ones are also a lot more expensive.

One of my beefs is the paltry amount of cover travel insurers allot to loss of baggage. For holidays that may not be much of an issue, although with some countries insisting laptops and pads go in hold baggage the value of the contents increases. I have rarely seen any policy that covers contents for more than about US$2,000 and then there is a deductible for each item! Require a couple of business suits, cold weather clothing, electric shaver, camera etc. for a 10 day business trip and even $4,000 is unlikely to cover it.

old advice  to never take for trip any  items we are not prepared to lose forever comes always handy in cases like above.

Travel light, take twice as much money and half of the goods and have spare underwear in your carry on and stress of losing or delaying luggage is greatly reduced or eliminated altogether.

At end of day, we really need very little to travel comfortably in  a country like Thailand , warm all year where all necessities are easily available in 7/11 just walk distance from anywhere including very Swampy we are talking about. 

Travel light, take twice as much money and half of the goods and have spare underwear in your carry on and stress of losing or delaying luggage is greatly reduced or eliminated altogether.

Spare underwear...  you don't trust the underwear of Thailand?

Spare underwear...  you don't trust the underwear of Thailand?

spare underwear,  alien concept for some , I know, you already admitted earlier to not changing shirt daily.

If flights arrives past midnight  , Thai garments  may not be available until stores are opened and street stalls set up i.e. 9-10 a.m. 

If flights arrives past midnight  , Thai garments  may not be available until stores are opened and street stalls set up i.e. 9-10 a.m. 

Of course one carries spare underwear, even if one does not change them daily. But I don't see the urgency after a flight. I have never pooped in my pants during a flight, but then the few plane drops I experienced were not serious, and I have never experienced an upset stomach from the food nor do I drink the water there.