TotallyOz

Review of Paleo Robbie in Bangkok

This looks fantastic. Thanks Michael. Will give them a try. I have been looking for something like this for a while.

I was very impressed with the quality of the food. Today we had Australian Sirloin. It was amazing.

Sorry to be a downer. On the basis of the recommendation I registered and ordered the Alaskan Fish Pie with mash which looked very good on the site and which we planned to have for an early dinner this evening. It was delivered right on time. So we popped it in the oven to let it cook for about 20 minutes. Frankly we were disappointed. The portions are large - perfectly good for two. There were loads of excellently cooked vegetables (carrots and broccoli). But the potato mash was not potato mash. It was lots of very large chunks of slightly undercooked potato. We could find very little salmon in the mix and what there was was virtually tasteless.

On the basis of this one dish, I would not return. But I will give it one more try. Perhaps steak next time.

12 hours ago, PeterRS said:

Sorry to be a downer. On the basis of the recommendation I registered and ordered the Alaskan Fish Pie with mash which looked very good on the site and which we planned to have for an early dinner this evening. It was delivered right on time. So we popped it in the oven to let it cook for about 20 minutes. Frankly we were disappointed. The portions are large - perfectly good for two. There were loads of excellently cooked vegetables (carrots and broccoli). But the potato mash was not potato mash. It was lots of very large chunks of slightly undercooked potato. We could find very little salmon in the mix and what there was was virtually tasteless.

On the basis of this one dish, I would not return. But I will give it one more try. Perhaps steak next time.

Glad you are going to give them another try. I ate at my favorite restaurant this week for the 200th time. The lava cake was bad. I think it had curled milk or something and if the other times were not good, I would not have returned. But, I never order their fish there either as they just don't do it well.

It is never good to have a bad first experience. Good luck with the steak. I like the Pork Loin, Grass fed burgers, and chicken salad.

Further to my comment above, I had written a short comment on the Paleo Robbie website. I received back an email this morning thanking me for my comments adding they had been passed to their Head Chef. Rather surprisingly, he pointed out that the company had already received two negative comments about this particular dish. Since it has been one of their offerings for many weeks, it makes me wonder why they had not made changes to it before now. However, it was kind of them to write.

On 2/7/2021 at 12:32 AM, vinapu said:

rightly so.

As they say 'one statistic sample is not a basis to develop hypothesis "

You are indeed correct. Since we rarely eat meat, yesterday evening we had the Wild Halibut which looked very tasty in the photograph. The halibut itself was well cooked with a very gentle taste. But we found the very large chunks of carrot overpowered the delicate taste of the fish and the brussels sprouts were a rather strange accompaniment. While the dish was better than the salmon mash, it was not what we felt was anywhere near ideal. We can get better fish dishes sent from restaurants near the apartment. Obviously Paleo Robbie's meat dishes are far better, but on the basis of the two we have tried, fish is not one of their strengths.

I should also add that having written to the manager after the very disappointing salmon,  he generously agreed to refund the cost and add a credit of Bt. 300 for our next meal order. Neither actually materialised - although I stress that at no stage was I looking for any discount or refund. Instead, I have just written to have my name taken off the mailing list, adding that I definitely do not wish any refund whatever. You win some, lose some. This take out is just not for us.