Guest BKKvisitor

How Do I Dial..?

Guest BKKvisitor

If the number you are dialing is something similar to this: 04-765-4321, then from the USA the dialing sequence would be:

011-66-4-765-4321

Thanks!!

I seem to have way too many numbers.

It is a mobile phone and its begins with 08 followed by 8 digits

Guest BKKvisitor

Please forgive my ignorance but this is my first attempt to place an international call to LOS.

I keep getting a "busy" signal (or at least what I perceive as a busy signal in US). Does this indicate the same thing in Thailand (line is in use) or could it indicate that I dialed incorrectly and call did not go through?

Guest buaseng

Please forgive my ignorance but this is my first attempt to place an international call to LOS.

I keep getting a "busy" signal (or at least what I perceive as a busy signal in US). Does this indicate the same thing in Thailand (line is in use) or could it indicate that I dialed incorrectly and call did not go through?

When I first tried ringing many years ago I confused the ring tone for the engaged tone.

The ring tone is single SLOW beep (about one every two seconds). The engaged tone is the same sounding beep but at a faster rate.

Let it ring for a good minute or so (it will probably cut off eventually anyway or, if it is a mobile, switch to the network answering service, (unfortunately in Thai)).

Guest BKKvisitor

When I first tried ringing many years ago I confused the ring tone for the engaged tone.

The ring tone is single SLOW beep (about one every two seconds). The engaged tone is the same sounding beep but at a faster rate.

Let it ring for a good minute or so (it will probably cut off eventually anyway or, if it is a mobile, switch to the network answering service, (unfortunately in Thai)).

If you're calling a mobile phone, do you still need to include a "city" code?

First, after you dial the 011, which means you are placing an international call, followed by the 66, which is Thailand's designator, you do not dial 08. Leave off the 0.

If you are getting a busy signal, then yes, the line is busy. It may not be necessarily his line that's busy, though. Thailand has more people with mobile phones than the system can handle, so it might be a system busy signal. Believe me, we often have the same frustrations right here when trying to place a local call, especially when it's night in Thailand. Quite often even here you have to dial several times before the call goes through. Even then, it's quite common to get cut off right in the middle of the call. Thailand's phone system could do with some updating, to put it mildly.

Keep trying. The dialing sequence I posted is correct. You'll eventually get through, assuming he has not turned off his phone, or lost it, or sold it.

Guest buaseng

I seem to have way too many numbers.

It is a mobile phone and its begins with 08 followed by 8 digits

Then dial 011-66-8 followed by the eight other digits.

Guest BKKvisitor

First, after you dial the 011, which means you are placing an international call, followed by the 66, which is Thailand's designator, you do not dial 08. Leave off the 0.

If you are getting a busy signal, then yes, the line is busy. It may not be necessarily his line that's busy, though. Thailand has more mobile phone than the system can handle, so it might be a system busy signal.

Keep trying. The dialing sequence I posted is correct. You'll eventually get through, assuming he has not turned off his phone, or lost it, or sold it.

Thanks again!

Guest BKKvisitor

CORRECTION:

I made a mistake. The dialing sequence I posted was 011-66-4-765-4321.

It should be: 011-66-84-765-4321.

I forgot that it is now mandatory to include the 8. (Thank you Jimbkk for letting me know).

I've gone from getting "the prefix code you entered is not recognized" to a busy signal. I suspect that lines may be overloaded.

Guest BKKvisitor

Well, BKKvisitor, please let us know. Were you finally able to get your call to go through?

Thanks to all who contributed. As it turned out, the calling card I was using to make the call did NOT require that I enter the USA country code before entering "66" (they automatically inserted it).

Thanks to all who contributed. As it turned out, the calling card I was using to make the call did NOT require that I enter the USA country code before entering "66" (they automatically inserted it).

I'm glad you at least managed to get the call through after all the frustration. I hope things go smoother for you from now on.