steveboy

How will Thailand following Taiwan in gay marriage affect us?

Guest gayguytt27

Agree with rollingstone, its politics, I don't see Thailand following suit at the very least until its government moves closer to a democracy again. 

I think the situation in Taiwan has something also to do with politics. The DPP (now government) had promised the support for gay marriage when it was opposition party.

It is rare for political parties anywhere to espouse causes just because they like the idea. Most usually it is a result of pressure from within soceity. In recent decades Taiwan citizens formed pro LGBT communities. Because they spearheaded a movement for equality with considerable tact and diplomacy without the usual rhetoric and hoopla that is found in other countries the idea of gay acceptance grew accordingly. It is the gay movement that persuaded the present ruling party to adopt an LGBT agenda. Not the other way around.

For your information, Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia used to be more than 90% Buddhists in the past.

Look what happened to them now.

Filipinos are now more than 90% Christians. This is due to Spanish and American Christian preachers.

Indonesians are now more than 90% Muslims, only people in Bali was spared. This is due to Arab and Indian Muslim preachers.

The Sri Vijaya empire were Buddhists.

An interesting map but the conclusions are way too simplistic. Trade, land and servitude were the main reasons for the decline of Buddhism. The Philippines changed due exclusively to colonialism rather than preachers altho preachers were then to play their part. In Indonesia and Malaysia Islam had earlier been adopted but over a much longer period of time and in a far more benign manner. The developing trade with the Islamic Middle Eastern countries had brought their religion. But it was adopted very slowly over hundreds of years and never forced on the peoples. There was also no pressure to subscribe to Islamic teaching in opposition to Buddhism. Both religions lived side by side for quite some time in the same way that Muslims lived alongside Christians and Jews in Spain. . It was the British, Dutch and Portuguese colonial powers conquest of much of that region that forced Islamic groups to band together to try and defend territory. The Islamic peoples were more territorially conscious than their Buddhist neighbours. 

I come rushing to this thread, one where I am the TS, to calm things down and protect myself from the "Death by Scooby" (I don't advocate suicide). I am not all that sorry since I got the opportunity to see that you are a group of fine people in an interesting site. I thank you all for replaying to my posts in a civil way. I gave attention to your criticism, and while not having a big need to change my principles I give consideration your points.

I had to cancel my plans for this year's Songkran, but I feel the Songkran spirit came to me in this issue. I have been deluged with the squirts of your water guns and buckets of icy water thrown at me, and I am now completely soaked... but smiling inside. I have decided to put my own fully loaded water gun aside and drop further comments on the topic. I will dry out during the daily walk with my BF and then change clothes before my lunch of healthy proteins, carbohydrates and filtered water. 

I'm pleased to say that I wish all gays would defend our gay issues with the fighting spirit you have. As for me, I find an interesting contrast: I was once banned from a religious forum because of my lack of respect for the sacred. Now I get nearly banned from a forum because of my lack of respect for the anti-sacred. Ha!! that must be it, it is the lack of respect!  I will see if I can blame this on my parents for not giving me the right punishment as a kid. Now, it may be too late :)  

I will see if I can blame this on my parents for not giving me the right punishment as a kid. Now, it may be too late :)

Never too late.  Just go to your nearest leather bar, and I am sure you can find a surrogate mother/father to give you all the punishment you deserve.  Oh course this is one bit of advice where I can't say, "try it, it can't hurt." :rolleyes: