reader

Low fertility threatens Thai universities

From Bangkok Post

Three quarters of Thai universities are at risk of closing over the next decade due to low enrolment and increased competition from foreign rivals, an education expert has warned.

Arnond Sakworawich, a lecturer in actuarial sciences and risk management at the Graduate School of Applied Statistics of the National Institute of Development Administration (Nida), said he is worried the government's idea to allow institutes of higher education from overseas to create satellite campuses in Special Economic Zones (SEZs) along Thailand's borders would put many Thai universities in danger of shutting down.

Mr Arnond said Thailand's higher education market has been shrinking for many years due to a demographic transition from high to low levels of fertility.

"There are just 600,000-700,000 babies born in Thailand per year on average now, compared to 1,000,000 per year from 30 years ago. The National Economic and Social Development Board also expects the number the number of Thais in the school-age group (0-21 years) will fall to 20% of the population in 2040, a sharp drop from 62% in 1980," he said.

During last year's admission, the universities had vacancies for up to 150,000 prospective students to study various subjects, but only 80,000 applied for the entrance test, he added.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/1253922/three-quarters-of-universities-at-risk-of-closure

Guest Kylgin

My dad wants me to study abroad in Thailand as an international student Is Chula's international programme good?Do the classes run in English???Are there alot of foreign people? (sorry for asking questions too much)

Low fertility in many countries and especially in Asia has been an issue for some time.

The worry is that an aging population will not have sufficient support by younger generations.

I personally see it as a good trend.  It counters overpopulation. 

Less resources can mean more conservation, more frugality, less food?  all good trends.

Maybe people will have to become more careful to be able to support themselves longer.

As a 70+ y.o. senior I can see myself self-supported for another 20 years,

and I know people who are good examples of this.

If they are short of potential undergraduates it is pertinent to as just how much state help is currently offered to potential students from poorer backgrounds in Thailand?

I help one lad with his accountancy degree in a Bangkok University; his twice yearly semester fees total about 25,000 baht (£600) a year (plus I add his monthly room rent), not a large amount for us - but for a dirt poor Issan family like his it is a huge ask.

Birthrates in Thailand might be falling, but they remain high in Cambodia & as far as I could tell from the evidence in front of me, also Vietnam. 

Perhaps Thai Universities need to start attracting overseas students.  The trouble is, you need good standards & a reputation to do that.

Well to do Thai families still send their children abroad for their college studies. Those young Thais who recently won medals competing at the International Physics Olympiad will receive government scholarships to go to college abroad - in exchange for working as civil servants after completing their studies.

That basically tells you everything you need to know about the quality of Thai universities, even the top ones. It's very rare for anyone willing and able to pay their tuition on time not to receive their degree - and it shows!

This is again an example of poor management.

For the floods and the droughts, the government has one year time (until the next rainy or dry season) to fix the problems that occurred this year.

For reduced birth rate, the government and universities have 18 years time (or whichever time it takes from birth until someone becomes a student).