reader

Falling pound cited in expat death

From Daily Mail (UK)

Police in Thailand are trying to establish if a retired British teacher committed suicide because he was receiving lower pension payments. 

Trevor Roberts was found dead in the Nan River in Phitsanulok, 300 miles north of Bangkok on Thursday.

Police were told by the 74-year-old's Thai wife that he had been complaining about his British pension, leading officers to consider whether this could be the reason for his death.

His sister-in-law, Phuangthong Nuanjan, has told police that Mr Roberts and his wife had been arguing lately because he was receiving less pension money than before due to changes in the way it was paid. 

Although there have been no changes to British pensions, UK citizens living abroad have been hit by a fall in the value of the pound, causing many to suffer such heavy losses that they have even been considering returning home.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4500158/Retired-teacher-kills-Thailand-Pound-fall.html

The Mail calls it an 8% fall but it is never good with figures. I can't recall the rate just before the referendum but I recall getting 52 to the pound at some point in the first part of last year. On my recent trip the best rate varied from a low of 42.6 to a high of 44.4. So the drop is nearer 16%.