reader

The male sex worker

Inspired by the wildly popular thread Abhorrent behavior on Twilight, my original intent was to research the history of male sex workers organizing in some sort of association that address issues we've been reading and posting about. The first evidence I came across is Scarlet Men, a group working out of Australia. Topics on its website include "client control", "keeping it up" and "spit or swallow".

http://www.scarletalliance.org.au/scarletmen/

But the more I Googled the less evidence I found of sex worker unions in what I admit was a less than exhaustive search.  However, I did come across some associated links that might interest some here.

Here's a photo essay from Slate, "The Sex workers of Thailand," featuring mostly males from the period 2007-2012.

Sak%2023%2C%20Ti%2029%2C%20Jiab%2025%20M

http://www.slate.com/blogs/behold/2014/01/09/gerry_yaum_photographs_sex_workers_in_pattaya_thailand_in_his_exhibition.html

The more I read the more I was persuaded that males are far less likely to organize themselves in the way females have.  The idea of operating largely on their own appeals to them.  Even those working out of a bar still seem to value their independence. The bar may be the venue that brings the client and provider together, but the compensation--and any attendant risks--are shared by the individuals. This article about the street scene in Mexico City portrays the lone hustler.

mexico-citys-male-hustlers-inside-the-ro

https://news.vice.com/article/mexico-citys-male-hustlers-inside-the-rough-lives-of-the-good-vibe-guys

For those who wish to pursue the topic. here's a review of the book "Male Sex Work and Society."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/07/male-sex-work-and-society_n_5766774.html

Quite often straight and gay bars recruit from the same areas and provide an informal 'family' that both protects (& controls) new additions to that bar.

One of my favourite gay bars in the Jomtien Complex, has a Cambodian boss and lots of the boys are from the same part of Cambodia - some are even related. They take good care of each other and will often try and find customers for each other.

Not 'Unions' as such but have much the same benefits at a micro-level. 

Guest DThump

The 3 guys in the the same photo all worked years ago in Sunee Plaza....I am familiar with the guy in the middle.

I usually asked new recruits in kl how they know this place and most of the times, its their friend that told them to come. So no surprise when most of the boys comes from same place, as they usually come there because their friends ask them to come

There was an article about boys in Saranrom a few years ago, that was discussed in the forums, that would fit in here.

Thanks for the lead, Christian.  I searched this forum for "Saranrom" and was amazed by the number of threads and posts. If you were referring to an outside source article, could you find a link?

After a few hours of reading I have no regrets that a never bothered to pay it a visit.  It seems to be high risk in several categories. Your escape from the guy with the machete sealed it!

I do miss the guys who used to populate the stretch of Rama IV between Silom and Surawong, most asking 500 if I recall. But have seen very few there in recent years.

On another note, agree with those who posted that guys from other SE Asian countries tend to form informal groups to look out for each other.

Came across a not dissimilar article about a Sydney guy, 26, who got into the trade to pay bills when he was 19. Says he charges $280 (AUD) per hour, an amount not unlike might be asked in major US cities--and probably rivals what many lawyers bill out at.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/true-stories/australias-rent-boys-male-prostitution-is-everywhere-sex-industry-boss-says/news-story/faf8efff03b7cfb725a29a276151bd81

One of the strangest documents I came across was a scholarly thesis titled Spaces of Male Prostitution: Tactics, Performativity and Gay Identities in Streets, Go-Go Bars and Magazines in Contemporary Bangkok, Thailand. The Thai author submitted it in partial fulfillment for a PhD in architecture from University College, London. It goes on for 371 pages, much of it numblingly academic but it does mention Sananrom.