reader

Thailand by rail exhibit topic

From Khaosod English

201716963_1_IMG_FIX_700x700.jpg

BANGKOK — Sweat, heat and the press of crowds on lengthy journeys is the experience of traveling Thailand by train. For director Sompot Chidgasornpongse, it’s the perfect allegory for Thai society.

It took Sompot almost eight years observing and recording the mundane lives aboard several passenger cars – how they talk, walk, glance and sleep – to produce his debut documentary “Railway Sleepers.”

“During the time spent on a train, a communal area is created, as strangers have to sit face-to-face across from one another. This transient moment replicates what happens in Thailand,” Sompot said.

Inspired by the curious nature of a Mexican boy sitting across him during a train trip in the United States, Sompot intended to film lives aboard Thai trains for his master’s thesis for the California Institute of the Arts.

He said people’s lives intertwine and connect through the railway: frequent commuters, tourists, vendors, officers, soldiers and monks. All separated are into three classes by ticket price. It’s a timeless hierarchy that, like the tracks, runs parallel to society.

"Railway Sleepers"is showing in Thai with English subtitles once daily at SFW CentralWorld and SF Maya Chiangmai.

Article with photos continues

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/life/arts/2017/04/25/society-railway-sleepers-resigned-long-uncomfortable-journey/

I've not yet encountered sweat, heat or the press of crowds on Thai trains, although perhaps the season helps.

The 4 non-aircon 3rd class trains taken in December had enough free space & were adequately ventilated by open windows.

The second class aircon train was also not sweaty or crowded.   Had allocated seats & spares.

I had plenty of train rides that were >100% occupied, i.e. all seats occupied and people standing. On some rides, I had to stand.

Open windows? Can't read a newspaper because wind blows to strong, and it blows in all kind of plant and animal matter, and in burning season flakes of soot!

Nonetheless, train is my favorite method of transport, and it's amazing to walk through the tree, especially 3rd class, and observe all possible forms of live on a train.

Open windows? Can't read a newspaper because wind blows to strong, and it blows in all kind of plant and animal matter, and in burning season flakes of soot!

it reminds me return from  train trip when I noticed on the platform and on the street unduly attention to my person, Shortly after in hotel I noticed why - my face was nicely and visibly covered with dust.

But I agree , train is favorite mode of transport for me as well.

Nonetheless, train is my favorite method of transport, and it's amazing to walk through the tree, especially 3rd class, and observe all possible forms of live on a train.

Agree. I have done a 2nd class train journey from New Delih to Goa and 1st class sleeper train from Luxor to Cairo. It was amazing.