reader

Bangkok to open 24/7 library

From Khaosod English

LIBRARY-e1490873500862.jpg

BANGKOK — Check out the capital city’s soon-to-be 24-hour library on April 7.

Located in a four-story art deco building with nearly 5,000 square meters, the Bangkok City Library will finally open to public on April 7. The library is expected to be home to more than 20,000 books in Thai and foreign languages, including a Braille section.

Membership is 50 baht for adults and 25 baht for students and children. However, the library in the first phase doesn’t yet include a borrowing service. The current opening hours are 8am to 9pm Tuesday through Saturday and 9am through 8pm on Sunday.

The library will officially launch its round-the-clock hours later this year. It is supported by the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration, which launched the project in 2013 after being voted 2013’s UNESCO World Book Capital.

The Bangkok City Library is located on Ratchadamnoen Klang Road near Khok Wua Junction and Khaosan Road.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/life/arts/2017/03/30/look-inside-bangkoks-first-24-hour-library-opening-soon/

CNN ran an article on Bangkok libraries in 2010:

http://travel.cnn.com/bangkok/play/bangkoks-best-rooms-quiet-contemplation-375378/

Good new. I will go soon after opening. But 20,000 books? In a library? I own over 1,000.

Over the last week, I spent over 10 hours in the book fair in Queen Sirikit Center, and it surely draws crowds!

Makes me question a statistic that the average Thai reads 10 words per day, including traffic signs.

BANGKOK CITY LIBRALY IS COMINGSOON,  as it says.   

With the internet, cheap books, kindles etc, I suppose the need for a library is lower than it has been for decades.   Nevertheless, I suppose a good library is a useful asset & even I read 1~2 books per month, even if never from a library.