reader

Arsenic in rice?

Guest abang1961

Pardon me..

I have been eating RICE for more than 50 years as RICE is a staple for Asians.

Did the article specifies the origin of the RICE?

For me, I do soak the white rice for at least 10 minutes before draining the water away.

This is to remove any dirt, husk and remnants of pesticide and bleach.

To make perfect long grain rice, add not more than 1.5 cup of water to 1 cup of grains.

For slightly more aromatic flavour, add in cut pieces of mixed vegetables (readily packed and available in bags purchased from your local supermarket) and a dash of salt and about 1 tablespoon of cooking oil.  

Another version is to sprinkle a little turmeric powder to add a little colour to the pot of rice.

Did the article specifies the origin of the RICE?

Good question. I'm a rice eater myself so I pursed this with no little amount of self interest.

Consumer Reports published the following:

All types of rice (except sushi and quick cooking) with a label indicating that it’s from Arkansas, Louisiana, or Texas or just from the U.S. had the highest levels of inorganic arsenic in our tests. For instance, white rices from California have 38 percent less inorganic arsenic than white rices from other parts of the country.

Our latest tests determined that the inorganic arsenic content of rice varies greatly depending on the type of rice and where it was grown. White basmati rice from California, India, and Pakistan, and sushi rice from the U.S. on average has half of the inorganic-arsenic amount of most other types of rice.

Brown rice has 80 percent more inorganic arsenic on average than white rice of the same type. Arsenic accumulates in the grain’s outer layers, which are removed to make white rice. Brown has more nutrients, though, so you shouldn’t switch entirely to white. Brown basmati from California, India, or Pakistan is the best choice; it has about a third less inorganic arsenic than other brown rices.

The article doesn't cite rice grown elsewhere.  It does cover the presence of arsenic in other grains.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/01/how-much-arsenic-is-in-your-rice/index.htm

There was scare when cadmium was discovered in disturbing levels in rice in south China in 2013.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/22/world/asia/cadmium-tainted-rice-discovered-in-southern-china.html

After what I've read, it raises my awareness but I certainly have no intention of stopping consuming rice. What I probably will do is soak in some water for a while before cooking. Thanks for the cooking tips, Abang.  I'm always looking for new ways to use turmeric.

Consumer Reports published the following:

All types of rice (except sushi and quick cooking) with a label indicating that it’s from Arkansas, Louisiana, or Texas or just from the U.S. had the highest levels of inorganic arsenic in our tests. 

With that it becomes more clear of why Americans voted way they did in the last election 

Well rice is commonly eaten in Japan, which has the highest life expectancy in the world (after Monaco).

What I don't know is how arsenic content in Japanese rice compares with other countries.

Data on arsenic content for source countries would be useful.

Incidentally, whilst looking at the life expectancy data, Thailand is down in 118th place. Not so good.

Data on arsenic content for source countries would be useful.

I wanted to know, too, so I spent spentsome time searching on line for some answers. After exploring scores of sources I believe this Wellness Letter from the University of California as the most reliable I reviewed.  Some of the points it makes:

We are exposed to trace amounts of arsenic all the time—in our food, water and air. For centuries, arsenic was even used as medicine and in cosmetics, and it may actually play a role in physiological processes in some animals.

Cook rice the way you cook pasta—in a lot of water. Use 6 cups of boiling water for 1 cup of dry rice. When the rice is done, drain off the remaining water. You may lose some nutrients in the cooking water, but you also reduce arsenic residues—by as much as 45 percent, according to a 2009 study in the Journal of Environmental Monitoring. Rinsing rice before cooking helps, too, though it also removes some B vitamins.

Avoid brown rice syrup and foods made with it, many of which are junk food, even if they are organic or come from a health-food store. Also, limit foods with multiple rice ingredients.

The letter also noted that jasmine rice from Thailand was among those varieties found to contain less arsenic than rice grown in some other regions.

The letter isn't too long and you can find it at link below:

http://www.berkeleywellness.com/healthy-eating/food-safety/article/arsenic-rice-should-you-worry

Guest abang1961

As if soaking rice for an ample time is NOT sufficient, the post above made me laugh out loud.

The standard practice for boiled white rice is 1 cup of water to 1 cup of rice.

The standard practice for congee/porridge is 3 cups of water to half a cup of rice.

If I have accidentally throw 6 cups of water into the pot. then it is gruel...fit for sick people and animals.

**Anyone wants to join me for a bowl of Chinese chicken porridge..with heaps of aromatic spring onions on the top. Yummilicious..  I can cook that for you (if you happened to be in Singapore)..fish porridge, scallop porridge, mince meat porridge, and two more for the more adventurous - century egg porridge and pig offals porridge.  Throw in some fried fritters..   I would recommend two adjacent stalls in the morning market at Chinatown, Kuala Lumpur.   Both stalls have been in business since the 1940s and a simple meal cost less than UD 1.50..

Anyone wants to join me for a bowl of Chinese chicken porridge..with heaps of aromatic spring onions on the top. Yummilicious..  I can cook that for you (if you happened to be in Singapore)..fish porridge, scallop porridge, mince meat porridge, and two more for the more adventurous - century egg porridge and pig offals porridge.

Will take you up on that offer next time in Singapore... but please hold the pig offals. Never had scallop porridge but it sounds great.

And no, I won't be boiling my rice in 1 to 6 ratio either.  I'll just settle for soaking it. Always thought if I had liquid left in pan after cooking that I didn't do it right.

Guest scottishguy

Mathematically it's quite a simple equation:

The amount of arsenic in your rice varies in direct proportion with the amount of cash your "BF" knows you have in the bank

:p