Guest DThump

What is the status of Thailand gay forums?

Sawadtee Gay Network has become what appears to be a gay travel log with few posters and few topics on a once vibrant forum.

Gaybutton has become a ongoing political discussion centering around the U.S. election with the occastioal post of a new bar openning in Pattaya or gay American Indians being allowed to marry. Gaythailand seems to have a loyal base made larger with refugees from S.G.T. and remains focused on what is a diminishing remainder of subjects of interest to gay expats and visitors to Thailand.

If you hang around for a few years, you will notice that the same subjects are discussed over and over on all forums. Useful information is spread thin.

On stickmanweekly it was once said: The forums used to be a place to get information, now you only get opinion.

Many subjects could be covered in a wiki, like drink prices, but then even I can't resist from spicing up this merely numerical information ("Dream Boys Bangkok 480 Baht per drink" says it all) with a few "outragous" and "exorbitant" and recommendation to go to Pattaya instead.

When I started checking forums, it was Sawadtee that I went to first...maybe because bangkokbois" was so readable, somehow, maybe it was Christian PFC's list of blogs that introduced gaythailand and gaybutton.  

Now, this forum is my main check point, DThump gives a good approximation of why in his post above.  I'd add that sniping and trolling turn me off.  

I'm currently testing a theory that this forum is more lively at certain times of the year, don't know is that's going to prove to be accurate...but as Bangkok enters high season it will be interesting (to me) to see if reports and observations and questions pick up.

I get off board information connecting to other members by PM.  Finally, I wanted to check out some hotel options in Pattaya and Bangkok (now that Tarntawan has gone down (lots of tour groups)...the forum search function was a super help.

Guest ryanasia

In all seriousness this site is now the most active board there is. It has a good name and if you google "gay thailand" what would one expect? There are more active posters, myself included. Gaybutton is a joke these days. Sawatdee is a bit better but lacks the draw. Gaythailand.com is obviously going to be at the top of internet search engines. 

The name alone is one reason this site could be worth over $10,000 which isn't a whole lot in reality. A simple name and universal access to it makes gaythailand the best site on the market today. The site also has very good moderators. I tried my luck now and again and they warned me in private but were cool about it all.

It is also the most active forum on the web, not yesterday, not tomorrow, but today.

It is also the most active forum on the web, not yesterday, not tomorrow, but today.

but still poor maintained... look at footer...

<p> © Copyright 2015 GayThailand.com, All rights Reserved.</p> 
<p>In using this site you have read and agree to our Terms of Use.</p> 
<p>All materials contained within this site including text, graphics, and the sites look and feel are copyrighted, unless otherwise stated. The domain <a class="footer_link" target="_blank" href="http://www.gaythailand.com">GayThailand.com</a> and it's respective trademarks are the property of <a class="footer_link" target="_blank" href="http://www.gaythailand.com">GayThailand.com</a>, Inc.</p> 
<p>All site supplied content, layouts, and technology are the property of <a class="footer_link" target="_blank" href="http://www.gaythailand.com">GayThailand.com</a> unless otherwise noted. All Models are 18 and older.</p>

<p>All materials contained within this site including text, graphics, and the sites look and feel are copyrighted, unless otherwise stated. The domain <a class="footer_link" target="_blank" href="http://www.gaythailand.com">GayThailand.com</a> and it's respective trademarks are the property of <a class="footer_link" target="_blank" href="http://www.gaythailand.com">GayThailand.com</a>, Inc.</p> 
<p>All site supplied content, layouts, and technology are the property of <a class="footer_link" target="_blank" href="http://www.gaythailand.com">GayThailand.com</a> unless otherwise noted. All Models are 18 and older.</p>

To be honest, I'd never even noticed that footer... I doubt many others have, either. I wouldn't say it was cause to label it "poorly maintained", but you're certainly entitled to an opinion. 

Let me preface what I am going to post by saying that I do love this site and visit it several times a day.

But I do wish we collectively as a Forum had a little more self-confidence.

All to often I read here about how the gay scene in Pattaya is in decline and yet some posts and posters are almost apologetic, even secretive in talking about it, yet alone in promoting it.

I am still relatively new to this, but already from what I have seen the boy bars, agogos and massage shops seem to abound with far more opportunities than I can possibly visit during my all-too-brief holidays.

Ironically the Ladyboy scene in Pattaya is far more high-profile, and the LB forum thrives, and yet, actually, on the ground I would say that the working LBs of Pattaya are only marginally more prolific than the boys.

Or am I missing something?

Guest ryanasia

Don't be jealous and give Latin my regards.

Me jealous? I'm registered at GT a long time before been registered at SGT, I have here more (few times more) posts than at SGT. I'm loyal to all forums of Thailand gay community. But to be loyal doesn't mean not to talk about strong and weak points of each of them.

Having said that what do you think is the strength and weakness of your own board (SGT)?

Having said that what do you think is the strength and weakness of your own board (SGT)?

I wrote it clearly half year ago here at GT

http://www.gaythailand.com/forums/topic/10386-thank-you-gentlemen/?do=findComment&comment=91826

Here is good balance btw moderation and freedom.

Sawatdee has most modern software with huge choose of option and also has most "wide" freedom, but almost unlimited freedom has "second side of the coin": sometimes personal attacks can occurred. 

GayButton has most strict moderation, but is great source of news since owner reviews local press and post a lot of news. 

People who is working in internet know meaning of these pictures.

For people who dont know: Alexa - is most reliable meter system of popularity of websites in world, digits at right shows how popular site is. For example: number 50000 will mean it is 50000th most popular site in world. I.e. - than smaller is number, then more popular is website. Number at colored background shows last changes, graph shows history of changes.

post-10479-0-11919300-1481820388_thumb.jpg

post-10479-0-02351500-1481820399_thumb.jpg

People who is working in internet know meaning of these pictures.

For people who dont know: Alexa - is most reliable meter system of popularity of websites in world, digits at right shows how popular site is. For example: number 50000 will mean it is 50000th most popular site in world. I.e. - than smaller is number, then more popular is website. Number at colored background shows last changes, graph shows history of changes.

attachicon.gifalexagt.jpg

I gather english is your second language.

attachicon.gifalexasw.jpg

>>>I gather english is your second language.

nope... 5th (and is most poor)

Your English is rough, but understandable.  Anyone who speaks five languages has my respect.  I am sure SGT got better when YOU took it over as your two predecessors  (one of whom is your partner) left you such a low bar.  All you really had to do, was to be a normal person, and at that you have succeeded quite well.  My only complaint is that you have apparently not taken advantage of a free press and knowledge base that is available to you in the West..  Having majored in History, I can tell you that in the West (college level) history is seldom biased, but based on documents, first hand personal accounts, and physical evidence.  This kind of evidence never changes because of political influence.  I cannot say the same about History as it is taught, and often manipulated in your native country.  I have seen you cite things on a couple of occasions that are pure crap--not history at all--that I am sure you learned in school.  I have never corrected you on your errors, because I know that is what you have been taught.  Please do not regard my comments in any way as a put down on you.  I think you are a fascinating man and I would enjoy a long talk with you some day.  Keep plugging away on your English and keep working on making SGT a good site to read.  You truly do have my respect.

Khor Tose, when you starting to talk about facts and West, I laugh.

I am very cynical, and I am immune from propaganda, cuz of long living in Russia, but look, are you serous about west and facts? Lets take a look at this picture, is it "fact"? That "fact" became (become?) price of 500 000 Iraqis life. Also it became (become?) birth point for ISIS. Do you really trust in bullshit which is cooked for you by CNN and other mass-media who supporting truth only till time while it is OK for their owners?

colin_powell_anthrax.jpg

anyway, thank you for warm words and support...

You both have a point, I think. Politicians are lying and thieving bastards the world over, with some notable exceptions obviously. The academic field of history and the way history is taught in schools, however, is probably nowhere as unbiased as in the West. It's not perfect there either, but as good as it gets in the real world.