firecat69

Cape Town South Africa

Two years ago, bf and I travelled to Cape Town for our wedding. We stayed at the Purple House and the hosts (a gay couple from the Netherlands) were absolutely marvelous and even served as our witnesses. The wedding was on their roof top with Table Mountain as the backdrop. The trip was memorable as was the wedding.

Highly recommend a trip. A pure joy and the people are some of the friendliest in the world.

In fact the overwhelming % of murders occur between family and friends . Also most occur in only a few police precincts and tourists feel little impact.

The impact of many fleeing their countries for a better life has led to an increase in poverty which always results in increases in crime but again certainly no more effect on tourists then most countries.

Table Mountain is pretty spectacular but other than that I find Cape Town a fairly depressing city with a high and increasing crime rate. I have been fortunate enough to travel to many cities around the world and Cape Town certainly wouldn't be anywhere close to featuring in the top 10.

I have little interest in the city of Cape Town. That is where you fly to and after that you venture out to the Western Cape, Eastern Cape and Kruger National Park.

If you never did that then you wasted your time. I have been all over the world and the scenic coastal beauty of South Africa as well as the Wine Regions are as spectacular as any place you could ever visit and the people are wonderful. In 4 days I have already met people visiting from Australia, NewZealand, United Kingdom, Ireland, Germany, Austria and the USA and not a single one has a negative thing to say and most have made multiple trips , they love it so much.

Little Map to show you some of the coastline we are driving around and then just a few photos to give you an idea of another great photo opportunity around every bend.

The Lighthouse is at the Cape of Good Hope and the restaurant is just a few steps below the lighthouse with great views.

With you I never know if you are being facetious?? The murders in Chicago are 95% gang related and in areas a tourist would never venture. Thus anyone who did not visit Chicago because of crime statistics would be missing one of the great cities of the USA.

There as in most parts of the world I would be more worried about getting blown up by Islamist Extremists or have my plane blown up. Not interested in living in a cave so just follow certain precautions and figure the odds are with you anywhere you travel.