Guest lurkerspeaks

airline question

Guest lurkerspeaks

I am still hoping to make my first trip to Bangkok in Oct or Nov of this year. I have a question for the more seasoned visitors. I live in Phoenix AZ. For the flight to BKK, what airlines would be the best options. I cannot make that long of a flight in standard Economy. I cannot afford business class. So which airline would have the best premium economy? I am  short and fat, so I am looking more for seat width as opposed to the pitch. I will have about 70K banked at both AA and United, so using them to upgrade is an option I am open to. I hope to keep the ticket around $1500 or less. (I could go a little higher if I use my miles and upgrade to business).. What suggestions do you more experienced flyers have for me? 

All seats seem to be getting more narrow these days, even up front.

EVA is supposed to have a very nice premium economy. I've only ever flown them in business class. Same with Cathay Pacific and ANA. They all offer decent connections, but Cathay and ANA probably do not offer premium economy on the regional configured aircraft for the BKK leg. 

If you have 70K miles at each of AA and UA, you could book business class awards (if you can find availability). You could fly Cathay Pacific or JAL business class (which is very nice) with your AA miles for 70K one way, and use UA miles in the other direction for business class on ANA or EVA. But it looks like UA requires 80K miles for partner business class so you'd need to collect some more miles.

All seats seem to be getting more narrow these days, even up front.

EVA is supposed to have a very nice premium economy. I've only ever flown them in business class. Same with Cathay Pacific and ANA. They all offer decent connections, but Cathay and ANA probably do not offer premium economy on the regional configured aircraft for the BKK leg. 

If you have 70K miles at each of AA and UA, you could book business class awards (if you can find availability). You could fly Cathay Pacific or JAL business class (which is very nice) with your AA miles for 70K one way, and use UA miles in the other direction for business class on ANA or EVA. But it looks like UA requires 80K miles for partner business class so you'd need to collect some more miles.

I have been flying between the US and BKK many times with United.  My level of satisfaction with this airline has dropped quite a bit recently.  They are screwing us with their miles program, with the quality of their food, with the free perks that are not free any more.  

If you look for seat width, a word of caution with the 787s, which United has plenty.  Their seats are NARROWER than other big body jets.  You can do your research about this on www.seatguru.com

As long as I can do the booking far in advance, choose a low fare, choose an isle seat, I have no problems with economy.  I would never pay for business class.   If I had 70,000 miles I would wait to reach 80,000 and get the round flight with miles. I did this in my last flight, and I was able to choose flights over the Atlantic (with scale in Europe) in planes that I like more than the 787s and better airlines, like Thai airways.

Before committing to anything, I suggest calling Rhonda at Norcross Travel. 1-888-888-7157.

Make sure you speak to Rhonda. 

I've recommended her for many years. She is actually Laotian.  She specializes in travel to Thailand.  She always got me tickets at a price far less expensive, often hundreds of dollars less expensive, than any other source I've ever found.  Find the lowest price you can.  Then talk to Rhonda.  Don't be surprised if she beats whatever price you find.

Cathay often has premium economy seats in the $1500. range out of LAX. American Airlines is stating new service to Hkg out of Lax this summer. That will keep prices down. Oct/Nov offers some of the lowest prices to Asia out of the US. I've seen some $750 fares to Bangkok out of Chicago and Boston on Japan.

All sorts of options. First go to Kayak .com. Pick a date range with 3 days before or after .

One date comes up $1176 from LAX for China Southeren. I know nothing about them but the connections are great.

You can find fares in November out of PHX on China Air for $1676 most dates. You fly through LAX but at least you don't have to figure out how to get to LAX. I have flown on them and they are great . You fly through Taipei.

November for some reason seems to have more available lower price fares then October and in fact that is a better time to visit with lower temps and less rain.

Keep in mind you gain a day coming home so leave on Sunday and arrive back on Sunday if you are looking to maximize your stay.

If you use Seatguru there appears to be at most 1/2 inch difference in width of seats in Premium Economy.

I vote for save your miles and pay the extra on Eva Air Elite Class/Premium Economy. Almost biz class without the expense.... From LAX-BKK is showing 1345 r/t from LAX in November... double the price of their economy tix.

I agree with Gaybutton, find the best price and call to see if they can beat it. Just be aware of the booking class and see if you'll earn miles and weigh the difference.

I have never used miles to BKK, it just seems a long way to go without getting miles in return, lol

Well let's not be ridiculous . I love Eva but Premium Economy is nothing like Business.

38" pitch vs 34", 19.5" vs. 26" width and Lie Flat in Business. There may be 1 or 2 dates for $1345 but I can't find them. 80% of the dates are $1675 or more which makes China Air much better value from his home in Phoenix . China Air and Eva are both owned by Taipei and service is similar.

China Southern is much cheaper if you can find dates that work out of LAX very limited and in October.

get award tickets for business class, as suggested by fedssocr. By FAR the best use of miles, i.e. most value for points. On one program I'm in, a one-way upgrade from Europe to Asia is 40k miles, i.e. 80k round trip. AND that requires a typically rather expensive upgradable booking class in economy. Whereas a round trip award ticket is only 135k miles. Much better use of the points IMO.

As for ANA, their business class on the 787 in the Tokyo-BKK leg sucks, not fully reclining seats, not comfortable at all. On the Tokyo-SFO leg it was good, standard lie-flat seat. But better than economy obviously, if that's what you might end up with on an award ticket given limited availability.

Very important re award tickets: book that WELL in advance to increase you chances of any availability.

Surprising it works both way. True you will usually find something far in advance but the best flights sometimes you get closer.

For instance, pretty much a waste of time looking for EVA or Asiana a long time in advance if you are a United member. Those seats get release much closer to the dates.

Pretty much stuck with ANA and United far in advance for BKK-USA. I usually book one of those far in advance and then change if available closer to my departure. At worst I have to pay $100 change which I find well worth the money since especially Asiana and even Eva are far superior in all respects to ANA or United.