Guest hueydavid

Couple visiting Thailand for the first time

Hey guys, sorry to bother you with so many questions :D, but we have 1 more:

Where would you recommend for clothes shopping? (Jeans, swimwear etc. - something affordable and not department store price :D)

We've found a bunch of places: Chatuchak, Siam Square, Platinum Mall, etc. But we don't want to spend a whole day shopping so would be great if you could recommend your go-to choice. Thanks again!

For that you definitely have to hire Ya from bkktours (see my signature) - he is a HUGE fun of shopping and knows every market and shop (sometimes I'm thinking "every stall") in Bangkok. Just give him idea what exactly you want to buy (style, price range and so on) :)

Guest abang1961

Platinum Mall and Siam Square is within 10 mins from each other.  There is only half a fllor of shops dedicated to the male population in PM  You must take the escalator to the 4th floor. For swimwear and underwear, you get lots of it there but at Patpong Night Market, you get the same stuff too. 

MBK across Siam Square is an interesting shopping venue for electrical/telephone-related goods.  You will find inexpensive bluetototh headphones there. There are several clothing stores within this shopping complex.

Chatuchak is a "mad" place with so many little shops - once you see something you like and the price is right, don't hesitate to buy,  You simply cannot find the shop again as this place is a MAZE.  Remember to wear something light, a singlet and shorts and good walking shoes.  There are plenty of food and drink stalls within the compound and do remember to hydrate.  The best time to go is early morning and based on my personal experience, 4 hours is the max I can stay in that "natural sauna".

My choice would be Talat market right on Saen Saep canal route, easy and fun to get to, small, busy and entirely local with corresponding prices. 

Take boat going west and after less than  10 minutes you are there .

Can be combined with visit to Golden Mount temple , steps from  next and final stop

My choice would be Talat market right on Saen Saep canal route

note: talat (or talad) = Thai for market, so that's not the name of the market.

I looked it up on google maps and according to that the second to last stop on the canal is called "Talad Bobae", or ตลาดโบ้เบ้, so that's probably it then.

post-11689-0-93383800-1461326342_thumb.jpg

There is a fruit and vegetable market at Bobae that is busy throughout. But for the clothes market, I vaguely remember it is nighttime only.

anddy: One of my personal favorites is a street food restaurant in Silom Soi 9, right the first one on the corner as you enter the Soi from the main Road, very easy to find. They have a full menu of many many favorite Thai dishes including Tom Yam Goong, curries, Pad Grapaow (chopped up meat (usually chicken of pork) fried with chili and Thai basil leaves), etc etc. Their HIGHLY recommended specialty though is steamed fish in a spicy lemon sauce (you can specify the degree of spicyness), the best in town. And CHEAP to boot (I think the fish is only 200 Baht, or less than USD 6). The Thai way of dining is to order several dishes and share them among everyone, so that's what you should do to be able to sample various dishes at the same time. The food at Soi 9 is amazing and you will be shocked as to how low the bill will be. They do have a menu in English as well as a picture-menu on a Samsung tablet, though the English menu unfortunately is only a shortened version of the actual, more comprehensive menu in Thai. I take ALL my foreign visitors there an everyone LOVES it.

But keep in mind the place is closed on Monday (applies for many markets and streetfood, as Monday is sidewalk-cleaning day). I found out the hard way yesterday.

There is a fruit and vegetable market at Bobae that is busy throughout. But for the clothes market, I vaguely remember it is nighttime only.

But keep in mind the place is closed on Monday (applies for many markets and streetfood, as Monday is sidewalk-cleaning day). I found out the hard way yesterday.

Definitely I bought my once famous "Bike for Dad" yellow shirt there in the morning so it must be whole day operation

oh sorry, I should have mentioned that....

Guest whall

I disagree on the ice cubes(I got sick from them) and disagree on not bringing immodium. When you have stomach issues, the last thing you want to do is go searching. I'm so glad I brought some. Next to condoms and lube, best thing I decided to bring!

Guest hueydavid

I disagree on the ice cubes(I got sick from them) and disagree on not bringing immodium. When you have stomach issues, the last thing you want to do is go searching. I'm so glad I brought some. Next to condoms and lube, best thing I decided to bring!

LoL haha I was just about to ask, good thing you brought it up. How did you bring lube? Doesn't TSA restrict bringing on board any liquid?

Put lube and other liquids in your checked baggage, otherwise stick to the 3-1-1 Liquids Rule for carry on.

3-1-1 Liquids Rule

You are allowed to bring a quart-sized bag of liquids, aerosols, gels, creams and pastes through the checkpoint. These are limited to 3.4 ounces (100 milliliters) or less per item. This is also known as the 3-1-1 liquids rule.

Guest Promsak

How did you narrow it down to ice cubes? Unlikely.

I wasn't suggesting 'don't bring any medications', simply no need to fill your luggage with them. Everything (within reason) is available here. 

Guest anonone

Some great advice in this thread.  It is exciting to be a new visitor to Thailand.  It is an amazing place with unbelievable people to meet.  You will have a great time. 

Some items not mentioned, which may be helpful.

Be aware that Thailand is a monarchy and there are strict laws about disrespecting the King, or any of the Royal Family.  It is best to not stray into discusions about politics / government and related. 

You should remove shoes when entering temples, homes, and some shops.  You will see a collection of shoes outside to help guide you.  In fact, there are several "rules" about feet which should be followed.  Never point your feet toward images of Buddha, nor step over such images.  Don't use your feet to point or nudge at people.   You have some slack being a foreigner, and if you accidently violate these norms, just apologize and correct. 

In the same manner, a person's head is considered sacred so it would be considered rude to touch, such as ruffling a child's hair. 

You should also refrain from touching a monk, unless they specifically initiate the action.

I agree mostly with the advice to stay away from the wai as a brand new visitor.  But if you receive a wai, it is acceptable to acknowledge it with at least a head nod.  Agree that you should not initiate one.

You can so some searches for more cultural advice.  Worth a quick read.  But don't stress over it too much.  Biggest advice is to keep your cool at all times and not lose your temper.  Some things will take some getting used to, but just accept the differences and enjoy being in a new place.  A smile and a cool head can get you through most things.

One other tip:  If you are so inclined, there are many Thai language teachers that conduct orientations on skype which would be a great idea.  They will go over some of the culture pieces but also teach you some of the polite phrases.  Thai is a tonal language, so the way you pronounce something is critical and best learned from a teacher.  If I remember correctly, it is only $10-$15 USD for the hour.  It really helps get ready for the trip.

Have a great time and look forward to hearing about your adventures.

Further info about the streetfood restaurant in Silom Soi 9: 

Please note that on June 2 they will move to the 1st floor (left hand side) of nearby Silom Plaza, which should be familiar to members as Arena (as well as Spabangkok) is in the same mall. I guess they will give themselves a name, too, when they're there lol. I'm just hoping that the quality won't suffer and prices won't go up too much....

Guest hueydavid

Thanks everyone for the great advice! We had a blast in bangkok and now on the islands for some sun time ☀️

Guest hueydavid

We're back home now and already missing Thailand. What an amazing country: the food, the people, the endless entertainment.

We don't have any crazy adventure stories to share since we were first-timers and focused on all the touristy stuff :).

Our favourite evening was having drinks at Telephone pub while people-watching. Then take a couple sperm shots at the Stranger and head to DJ station to dance the night away. We even went to GOD after ... where we met a really cute guy which would have ended up in a threesome if we didn't sober up in time :p.

Thanks again everyone for your great advice, our trip wouldn't have been the same without it.