Guest erected

Beware when meeting a date on Gay Romeo, Hornet, Grindr or any gay social network in Thailand.

Guest erected

I have lived and worked in Thailand for over ten years. Once in a while I am looking for a new weekend playmate for fun-no strings attached- so I go window-shopping on Gay Romeo, Grindr...all the other gay social networks. I do not have time to go to a  go-go bar or sit in a gay bar and pick up someone so I go the the gay social networks. I usually contact my regular Thai buddies who I have met on line and have built up a friendship beyond the sexdate part of it. This is nice because there are no surprises and a trust-factor which one does not have when meeting a commercial-boy for the first time. What has come to a big joke, are the number of false profile pictures use on the gay social networks in Pattaya (Gay Romeo, Grinder, Hornet... you name it). What a bunch of liars. It is not an unknown if you line up to meet someone from one of these websites the young man will be looking for money. You do not need to ask- you just assume. Some will ask by the second message, HOW MUCH YOU GIVE ME? or go by the title MASSAGE BOY or mention it before they come to visit. But many of the Thais will use their photo from five or ten years ago when they were better looking and took care of themselves or more buffed. The money boys in Pattaya on line think most of the farangs are looking for the 18-22 year olds so they will put down their age as a 21 year old and show a photo of themselves that makes them look age 14.  Since I desire the opposite candy, (I prefer a masculine Asian, age 30-45yr, that is more mature and not acting like a sissy boy) the hunting on line can be a real challenge. (Bangkok is a bit different.) Or.. when you look at the first photo on Gay Romeo or Hornet, it will be a photo from ten years ago....you scroll down and maybe (hopefully) will be the newest photo of the Thai.  True, in Western countries we may lie about our age 3-5 years...and of course put the best recent photo of ourselves on our profiles, but so many of the Thais posting their photos or information on these gay social websites (which in Thailand should be called, RENT A DATE, have the balls to give out false info then show up in your hotel or condo lobby looking totally different. Now I have the nerve to give the guy 150 baht and say, Sorry, you look totally different than what you posted on your profile.  So with this false-advertising, that is why I have my regular playmates. I do not want to play games.

Question: Thai men who are not commerical boys, but hold regular jobs. What websites do they go to to find someone?  If they go on Planet Romeo or Hornet, everyone would assume he is a commercial boy.?

So, if you are from the West and plan to meet a date from Gay Romeo, Hornet or another social network on internet, assume 90% of the info is false. (Yes, there are exceptions which I have discovered.)

Question: Thai men who are not commerical boys, but hold regular jobs. What websites do they go to to find someone?  If they go on Planet Romeo or Hornet, everyone would assume he is a commercial boy.?

So, if you are from the West and plan to meet a date from Gay Romeo, Hornet or another social network on internet, assume 90% of the info is false. (Yes, there are exceptions which I have discovered.)

I do not assume everyone on the social apps is commercial, and the non-commercial guys go there just as everyone else. I have little trouble finding hook ups there, if and when I want it (admittedly not that often haha). My guess is that it very much depends on your own age and looks if non-commercial guys are interested or not, not on their presence (or perceived lack of it) in those apps. The commercial boys of course are always interested, regardless of age/looks, so easy to get a response from, or even being contacted by them first. 

As for false information, can't really report of that. Though what I did discover over time is that Thais (Asians) in general tend to look somewhat different in pictures than in real, even if it is a current and normal picture. Really don't knwo why that is, but it's an observation I make over and over again.

I do not have time to go to a  go-go bar or sit in a gay bar and pick up someone so I go the the gay social networks.

For me it's the opposite: when I don't have time to play the online (slow communication, finding place and time to meet - actually place should be my room and time now, but how long until the boy is here?), then I go to bars and massages. Even if I don't find someone, it's more entertaining than texting.

Since I desire the opposite candy, (I prefer a masculine Asian, age 30-45yr, that is more mature and not acting like a sissy boy) the hunting on line can be a real challenge.

Try saunas. I don't know of any websites, and discos are more 20-30 year olds.

Smartphones now have programs to process phones, and they are widely used by the Thais. But often you can see that the face does not look natural, it has been processed ("beautified").

Erected. I think you are perhaps exagerating to problem of false profiles on GR. Profiles there are rather like career resume's or cv's - you tend to make them look as favourable as possible. I'm am a user of GR when in LOS, as I will be shortly, and I am in the gay sex tourist category. I would say that 50% of the profiles are accurate, as regards age, appearance and cock size. 30% are not, but not to the extent of rejecting the boy. 20% are fraudulent and I have had to get rid of them in an appropriate manner.

Comparing pickups from gogo's or bars and GR I would say the latter has the advantage of availability out of bar hours but is not necessarily a quicker contact method.

Erected your %'s are ridiculous.( Maybe you are a Bar Owner) he he   I'd be afraid to add up the boys I have seen from Romeo and the other apps and the great majority look like their photos. 

Now since you are looking for masculine 30-45 years old , what are you finding come to your door 50 year olds .

I don't get the whole premise of your posts.  

In pattaya 90% of the boys are money boys (fine with me).  BKK the % is much lower but I would guess 33%.  But i am searching for 18-24 year olds which is what most but not all of the posters here are looking for.

I make it clear to the boy if he does not look like the photos I will send him away with nothing. This solves the problem in 90% of the cases.  If the boy does not reply it is because he does not look like the photos.

Probably the case in 10% of the contacts I make.

The other thing is it is very hard to tell the age of Thai boys .  I have been with boys who I thought were 22 and they were 32.  Makes no difference to me. It is the  look I am after and I could care less if they are older then stated.

.... trust-factor which one does not have when meeting a commercial-boy for the first time.

I understand what you are saying but I MUST to add my experience is that  I actually trust my firsts at least when comes  to property , whatever it means, goods or money, and never so far was deceived i.e. has things or money missing.

I find trust makes me more relaxed than being paranoid about hiding things while boy is showering for example.

What I'm kind of vary of  is them keeping promised time, I hate if boys announces he needs to go earlier than agreed but for that I kind of found of solution if I still like the boy.

Though what I did discover over time is that Thais (Asians) in general tend to look somewhat different in pictures than in real, even if it is a current and normal picture. Really don't knwo why that is, but it's an observation I make over and over again.

me too, what is nice surprise  they actually look better in flesh than in pictures I observed

... I go to bars and massages. Even if I don't find someone, it's more entertaining than texting.

exactly my opinion even if you are resident and me short time visitor it looks that entertainment value of  street level boy hunting vs. digital is not lost on us

The other thing is it is very hard to tell the age of Thai boys .  I have been with boys who I thought were 22 and they were 32.  Makes no difference to me. It is the  look I am after and I could care less if they are older then stated.

again I agree wholeheartedly, since I'm dealing with older boys I never even bother to ask them about age or ID, smile , butt,  bulge and biceps is what counts , not  statistics.

Boys are the same , they don't care about our age, good heart and bulge in the  pocket where wallet is counts  for them

Guest anonone

If I can take the risk of over-generalizing...There is a tendency among all Thais to "beautify" their pictures.  They really don't view it as false advertising at all.  BF does it all the time to his own pictures, even when he has no intent to show them to anyone else. 

I sat next to a Thai lady on one of my flights last year.  She was showing me photos of her and her family....and they were all "beautified".  Just the way it is.

It might be somewhat special in Pattaya, but elsewhere and here in Bangkok in particular, there are many "regular" Thai guys on Gay Romeo and Hornet. Many of them aren't particularly interested in foreigners, obviously, and use these platforms primarily to connect with each other. Line groups are also popular among Thai gays.

I agree that in BKK the apps are more used for things other then being a MoneyBoy.  The exception to that is Planetromeo where the % is still fairly small that will not entertain Sex for Baht even if not their primary focus.  BKK is so big and so many of the boys either have jobs or school, it is much harder to connect.

Pattaya it would be much harder to find a boy who is not a Moneyboy or at least will consider it on Planetromeo and apps like Hornet and Jack'd.

But using another person's photo is really cheating

That's why you meet away from your hotel & immediately say goodbye if they are a different person to the one in the photo.

Once they have a few wasted journeys, hopefully they will learn how to behave more honestly.

Here is a good trick I always do. Have them take a photo of themselves now and send it. With the above mentioned apps, it is super simple. Tell them to hold up 3 fingers so you know. If they don't, move on to someone that will. Easy peasy.

whall, your clever verification method reminds me of a bank that recently asked me to not only send them a photocopy of my passport, but also a photo of myself holding said passport next to my face. I'm still pondering whether I should comply or tell them to stuff it, but I'm leaning towards the former because that kind of request seems to get more common anyway and complying beats having to travel to their office that is thousands of miles away... ;)

When I saw "Beware" I thought there were boys murdering or stealing or something rather than doing something that pretty much every advert for anything you can think of does. I dislike it much more when restaurants have a great vibrant picture of a juicy burger on a freshly made roll filled with fresh tomato, lettuce, onions, etc and you get a scorched burger in a cheap shop bought roll with a limp bit of lettuce brown around the edges.

I pretty much expect the photos of the boys to be touched up. If it isn't the same person in the photo then I'd be much more likely to send them away.

I pretty much expect the photos of the boys to be touched up. If it isn't the same person in the photo then I'd be much more likely to send them away.

I' not using apps but certainly would be looking at guy who is  at my door and less concerned if person is one from photo or not.

If you like what you see why not let him in even if he is not one from the picture. Cheap skates may even use it to their advantage and negotiate lower tip, not my style though.

But opposite to what OP said while I'm  in BKK or PTY I have time to go to bar or massage and prefer this method of choosing somebody actually  smiling at me who will warm my bed. 

If he's not one from the picture, who knows what else he is lying about. Could not do services agreed upon or take the money and run. Just have them take a current picture.

If you like what you see why not let him in even if he is not one from the picture.

While I understand your reasoning, if you don't send him away that kind of encourages using others' photos. So ultimately it's a choice between doing what's best for you in that situation OR doing what's best for the "market".

While I understand your reasoning, if you don't send him away that kind of encourages using others' photos. So ultimately it's a choice between doing what's best for you in that situation OR doing what's best for the "market".

Exactly.  If he's using someone else's photo, WITHOUT DECLARING that, I would want to send him away on principle.

1  The principle that if we reward bad behaviour, it spreads.   So we should not reward bad behaviour, otherwise it does spoil the market.

2   Do I want a dishonest person in my room?   On principle & for practical risk management reasons, no.

I think sending someone with the wrong photo away is quite easy, so why not ?

There are more difficult problems people sometimes have to deal with.

Enough already!!!   I have seen hundreds of boys from Romeo, Jackd and Hornet.  Exactly 2 showed up at the door who were not the boys in the photo and in 1 case the boy was much better looking and the other I sent away.

Now some were older then the age but for me still Hot. Unlikely if I liked a photo of a boy when he was 18 that I would not still like him at 25 or possibly even older.  As i have mentioned before I had 1 boy I saw 50 times at least in BKK and would have bet money he was no older then 22. Turned out he was 32.  Who cares ? I picked him off the stage at XBoys in Bangkok.

My one complaint sometimes that I make it plain to the boy I like kissing and he turns out to be lips only.  Happens.  Can just as easy happen in the Bar.

I might as well add that I, too, have made quite a bit of use of apps like GR, Jack'd, Grindr, etc. and never encountered any significant problem. I can usually tell within a few messages back and forth how likely it is to work out. I think part of it is just a vibe thing. With experience you learn to pick up on the subtle signals. Plus some people just have more finely attuned BS meters than others. 

My strategy, such as it is, is to start by using GR's search feature and searching for the parameters I am interested in. I scan quickly at profile result and mark it as either pass or possible. After that, I go back through all the possibles, take a closer like, and edit the list down further. I am usually then left with about a dozen and a half or two dozen profiles. I send out short messages to all of them and then take the replies as they come.

I usually move things off GR and onto a social app like Line or WhatsApp fairly quickly. I also like to request more photos, and this is usually never a problem. I've probably been more shocked by the change in a guy's appearance between meeting him at a bar and getting back to my place than I have from meeting someone online. Honestly, I only bother with the bar scene if I am entertaining a friend who is an infrequent visitor or just for the occasional lark. 

Plus some people just have more finely attuned BS meters than others.

In somewhere like Pattaya, I have zero tolerance for bullshit, on the basis there are plenty of other fish in the sea.

If somewhere else, with only 1 fish in the pond some flexibility is required.

However, even in Pattaya, it is possible to waste a lot of time on GayRomeo. 

One Chinese lad held a perfectly civil conversation & agreed to meet me in Boyztown at a specific time. 

Then immediately after, he says:

"I'm not sure I can handle the size of your cock".    

At this point I know I have wasted my time.   Then the next part pops up.

"Do you have a picture ?"

I need to get better at spotting the warning signs.