Guest ronnie4you

Novels Set in Thailand

Guest ronnie4you

There are several good authors who set their tales in Thailand. My favorite is John Burdett, who started a series with Bangkok 8. It was really good.

Not that any of these are gay, but I also like Christopher G. Moore and his Vinnie Calvino detective stories.

Another favorite is Timothy Hallinan, who writes the Poke Rafferty series about a guy who successfully marries a bar girl.

Currently I am reading a novel called Kingdom of Make-Believe. I am only a quarter of the way through, and again it is a straight story, but the author's descriptions of Thailand are superb. He alternates the present with a time 20 years ago when he lived there. Nostalgia City for me. A lot of it is set in the old capitol of, and now famous ruins, Ayutthaya.

Dean Barrett is the author.

I thought I had the name of another author on the tip of my tongue, but sadly, memory fails. Maybe I will recognize it when you post the names of your favorite authors writing about Thailand. :)

Have read both of Burdett's books (the other one is Bangkok Tattoo, I believe) and read a couple of Barrett's detective novels which were based in Bangkok; however, didn't know about the latest Barrett book and I may check that out.

As an aside, I sat next to Barrett many years ago on a flight from Taipei to Bangkok and talked with him about his books.  Somewhat strange guy, I thought, but, as you said, some of his descriptions of the Thai scene seemed rather accurate to me.