brall3

in Pattaya with a bad cold

Wednesday I came down with a bad cold. For the last two days I have stayed in the hotel room, trying to sweat it out. A couple of people asked if I have a fever, I do, and they suggested seeing a doctor.

Today I feel a little better. But just in case I need one, any suggestions on doctors.

You didn't say where you are staying.  If you decide to go to a doctor instead of listening to the advice of all the message board interns, if you're staying around the Boyztown or Sunee Plaza area, I suggest going to Pattaya Memorial Hospital.  Go up Second Road.  When you're very close to the Pattaya Klang intersection, you'll spot the sign for the hospital on the right.

They provide excellent treatment, charge reasonable prices, and they'll give you your prescriptions right there.  If your problem persists more than two or three days, I hope you'll go.  It might not be a cold at all.  There are other things it might be and you need a proper diagnosis.

If you decide to go to a doctor instead of listening to the advice of all the message board interns,.

He has a cold, not pneumonia or a plague! Hospitals are for real sick prople ... not for people with a malaise!

In fact the OP has more chance of catching some REAL disease in Pattaya Memorial and better off to keep away! 

He has a cold, not pneumonia or a plague! Hospitals are for real sick prople

I won't say that's the most ridiculous statement I've ever seen, but it comes close.  "Real" sick people?  Are you another message board intern?  Maybe he has a cold and maybe he doesn't.  I don't know and neither do you.  If his problem persists, going to see a doctor is the thing to do before it gets worse and Pattaya Memorial is the best convenient place for him to go.  If he wants second or third best, he can always go to a street clinic.

Good excuse to take it easy a couple nights and drink plenty of fluids  :good: 

Feel free to take full advantage of this to make every annoying mamasan sick as a dog also.

Really sucks to be in a candy store and not want to infect any of the gorgeous nocturnal eye candy.

A trip in the afternoon in Jomtien for some ultraviolet therapy and plenty of rest,

but at home sometimes I feel better if I just work it off. Never seems to last very long

with the sun and fun there, luckily.

If I was old(er) and fraile I would be more conservative and go to a doctor.

I won't say that's the most ridiculous statement I've ever seen, but it comes close.  "Real" sick people?  Are you another message board intern?  Maybe he has a cold and maybe he doesn't.  I don't know and neither do you.  If his problem persists, going to see a doctor is the thing to do before it gets worse and Pattaya Memorial is the best convenient place for him to go.  If he wants second or third best, he can always go to a street clinic.

I am honoured that the king of ridiculous statements considers my statemet to be almost in line with one of his!

(i can insert numerous barbs here, but i will refrain from respect for GBs long standing and well meaning service to our community)

Read the Subject line "in Pattaya with a bad cold"

What else is one meant to infer from that subject - except that the OP has a cold...

Sending him to a hospital is like chicken licken reporting that the sky is falling down

Going to a hospital will most likely lead to the OP getting the usual Thai "cure" of a dose of antibiotics - a cold is viral, not bacterial, and antibiotics have no affect on a viral infection

You treat an ailment sytematically until that treatment proves ineffective, and the "modern" cure for a common cold is paracetalmol, decongestant, anti-histamine and vitamin C with Zinc 

You treat an ailment sytematically until that treatment proves ineffective

That is precisely what I said.  While you're busy telling me what to read, I'll repeat - for the third time - see a doctor if the problem persists.  That's what I would do.  You wouldn't?

Ok, make more snide remarks if you want to, just like I'm supposed to give a damn.  I've given my advice.  The OP will either follow it or he won't.  I'm done with this topic.

I sometimes get colds in Thailand but very rarely back home in UK. If it's bad I follow the "ridiculous" advice of Colmx and maybe go to a pharmacy to get something to ease the symptoms, Recovery will come with time. I would never consider rushing off to Pattaya Memorial or any other such place.

I'm done with this topic.

Frustrating eh? On your own board you'd have deleted the thread or the comments that disagree with you.

That's an unfair thing to say, GB's reaction on his own board in similar cases is usually just the same like here. I can say from considerable experience that merely disagreeing with him doesn't get your posts deleted either. Finally, I think he's actually given sensible advice to the OP: Go see a doctor if the symptoms persist after trying the usual cold remedies for a few days. Anything else is madness.

Now, if we could get an update from the OP, it would be interesting to know how he's feeling!

Reading this thread I started reflecting on the few instances of contact with the Thai medical system. I've made about 25 trips to Pattaya over the last 10 years, but really I have been more healthy there than I am here in the UK.

I go to the Pattaya Memorial Hospital for my HIV check and it's always a nervous few minutes waiting for the result, perhaps worrying about oral sex and the tiny chance of infection.

Apart from this I once went to the Bangkok Pattaya Hospital when a dog I stepped on bit me. A course of five injections was prescribed for which I paid 11000 baht. I'm always a bit wary of Thai dogs now.

Then I thought I had broken a rib when I fell coming out of the shower on the stone edge of the shower sink. Bloody painfull and I had to tell the boy to leave as I wasn't in any fit state to enjoy sex with him. The X-ray at BPH showed nothing broken but it was more than a week before the pain subsided. Beware of wet slippery tiled floors in Thai hotels !.

Finally I was running from BT to Jomtien when I tripped up on a rough part of the footpath. A motor bike taxi man took me to a doctor who patched up my grazes and cuts and told me I had broken my little finger.

But for about 75 weeks of time spent in Thailand this is quite a modest amount I think. For something serious I would rely on my UK medical and travel insurances to pay for treatment.

Sorry to ramble on but I like to make a post every once in a while.

Thanks, Colmx for that info re: the cold medicine. I always end up with a cold every time I visit Thailand, due to the air-conditioning.

I also always end up with a sore back - no, not from what you are thinking. I keep tripping over uneven parts in the pavement, or miss those little steps when you enter a shop. It happens to me all over Asia. Just when I'm beginning to feel better, I trip and jar my back again.

And Alexx, you're right about GB. I've had a few disagreements with him over on his board and I've never been kicked off. Nor has the thread been deleted. It's his board and he can run it any way he wants. If I don't like it - or any other board for that matter - I can always leave.

Thanks, Colmx for that info re: the cold medicine. I always end up with a cold every time I visit Thailand, due to the air-conditioning.

If we are going to be staying in a place for more than a few days (e.g. rented condo) we usually do a quick " self service" on the aircon filters too

In most modern units, the lid pops and there are a pair of plastic&mesh filters covered in a few mm of muck and hair.

They slide out easily.

BF and I take them out and use the "bum gun" on them to remove all the debris, give them a lttle rub&rinse of shampoo and leave them on the balcony for a few hours to dry out.

As a result we get better cooling, better control, less smell (stale smoke) and definately less gunk up our noses every morning!

So its another thing to help keep the infections at bay!

[Please fon't blame me if you fall off a chair when removing the filters! Its AYOR!]

If we are going to be staying in a place for more than a few days (e.g. rented condo) we usually do a quick " self service" on the aircon filters too

As a result we get better cooling, better control, less smell (stale smoke) and definately less gunk up our noses every morning!

So its another thing to help keep the infections at bay!

That's a great suggestion, colmx, thanks. I do a bit of preventative cleaning at each place I check into, but had never thought of looking to see if this step was possible. Basic disinfecting of things you can be sure are rarely (if ever) cleaned is smart, I think, and only takes five minutes, tops. I offer a post about it here: http://khunbaobao.blogspot.com/search/label/Health

In most modern units, the lid pops and there are a pair of plastic&mesh filters covered in a few mm of muck and hair.

They slide out easily.

Where do I find these filters? Inside the Condo or outside? Where on the unit?

Cannot see anything in the link provided above.

I have the same problem

Colmax, what a great idea!  I did check my filters and some were so covered in dirt/dust it is a wonder any air went thru them.

I soaked them briefly in some dish detergent and a little bleach and brushed them. After used the bum run to rinse them.

These filters are on the unit inside your condo/room. There will be a panel on the front of the AC unit which you can lift up or pull down depending if a wall mounted unit or floor mounted. Some units may have a sliding catch/lock . Basically not much different than removing the cover in a TV remote.

Best to do one at a time to insure you put the screen back in the proper position.

Of course if one is a klutz then better to have someone else do the job. 

Finally, if one is staying long term in a condo then the entire unit should be cleaned using a vacuum and maybe air pressure to clean it.