Gaybutton

'Farang' Pricing - One Way Not to Pay It

I don't know if this is true. I haven't had an opportunity to try it. However, I was recently told that "farang" who hold a Thai driver's license and/or can produce a residence certificate do not have to pay the "farang" prices at government venues and at many privately owned venues.

It never occurred to me to try. Recently my boyfriend and I had gone to a waterfall at which there was an admission charge of 20 baht for Thai citizens and 400 baht for "farang." I had my Thai driver's license with me, but it never even entered my mind to produce it. I wonder if I could have saved 380 baht.

Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?

I don't know if this is true. I haven't had an opportunity to try it. However, I was recently told that "farang" who hold a Thai driver's license and/or can produce a residence certificate do not have to pay the "farang" prices at government venues and at many privately owned venues.

It never occurred to me to try. Recently my boyfriend and I had gone to a waterfall at which there was an admission charge of 20 baht for Thai citizens and 400 baht for "farang." I had my Thai driver's license with me, but it never even entered my mind to produce it. I wonder if I could have saved 380 baht.

Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?

Maybe. Last time I went to Chiangmai zoo I had to pay the farang price to visit the pandas, but the ticket lady said that if I'd been living in Thailand for a year or more I could get in for the Thai price.

Guest rainwalker

Several weeks ago, I went to Dream World, the amusement park located beyond Don Muang airport (R.I.P.) with my Thai boyfriend, his sister and her girlfriend - maybe gay does run in families - and their 7 year old cousin.

At the ticket counter, I was asked where I am from and said I live in Thailand and then in jest asked to pay the Thai admission price.

They looked at me a little strangely and called over a supervisor who asked me to show my retirement visa, or a Thai driver's license. I did not bring my passport and don't have a Thai drivers license and told him that.

He then asked if I had an ATM card, which, like so many regular visitors and retirees I do have and use often, and when I showed it to him, I got in at the lower price.

It can be done.

BTW: Dream World is worth going to IF you forget about Disney, Six Flags etc. and go in prepared to be a kid.

Critical adults can easily find fault.

For us, the highlight was the Snow House, essentially a huge refrigerator kept well below zero. Thais and snow is a winning combination and the facility has a small hill that you can slide down on an inner tube type sled.

Much laughter ensued.