TotallyOz

Thailand chooses gay-themed drama as Oscar submission

Thailand's motion picture association has selected a gay-themed, coming-of-age drama, "How to Win at Checkers (Every Time)," as an entry for the foreign-language category at the Academy Awards.

The movie is about an 11-year-old boy named Ek being raised by his gay, older brother in a poor Bangkok suburb. Ek tries to help his brother dodge the country's military draft lottery in the film, which touches on corruption, discrimination and social status in Thai society — and was released while a military government is running the country.

The film "has successfully been able to raise issues that people in Thailand don't openly talk about," said Weerasak Kowsurat, secretary-general of the National Federation of Thai Motion Picture and Content Associations.

An 8-person committee from the federation chose the film from among 59 contenders on Tuesday and submitted it Thursday as its selection for the Oscars foreign-language category, Weerasak said.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_28869356/thailand-names-gay-themed-drama-oscar-contender

That's great, I liked that movie and I think the story is one that will interest an international audience with no particular connection to Thailand as well (unlike many other Thai movies).

I'm somewhat surprised that the committee had the spine to select it, given the plot and the situation of the country, as summarized in Michael's OP. Well done.