Guest whall

Other country in addition to Thailand

What other country is easy to get to from Bangkok? If i went there and went to another country and came back to Bangkok to go back home. Vietnam?

Because plenty of excellent connections from Bangkok all SE Asia countries can be taken as a side trip.

Cambodia would be my first choice but you can do as well with Myanmar, Vietnam & Laos. It's only 4 hr flight to Bali and even to Paro in Bhutan you can get non-stop from Bangkok.

In fact my first 8 trips to Thailand were combination with some other country in the region.

Depending of your country of residence make sure  you survey Visa situation, not every country needs visa , on another hand you may not be able to obtain visa on arrival and must arrange for it in advance.

If you are dual national holding two passports you may play visa games as you may find that there's price difference or even visa free access for one nationality  but not other one.

Which country you chose depends on your preferences. If you looking for beaches  Laos is not your option obviously. 

Common denominator for most of those countries is that they are affordable. 

I would add Singapore and The Philippines to vinapu's suggestions both destinations only a short flight (2.5 hours) I especially like Singapore for a short weekend break and stay in Geylang where there are some great budget hotels and food courts. Good transport links from Geylang too.

In Manila I stay in Ermita, in affordable hotels around United Nations Avenue and there are easy transport links to the rest of Manila.

Flying to all of them is easy. The cost may vary.

Flying directly to Laos has been quite expensive compared with the others, due to lack of competition on their routes. I'm not sure if that has improved.

For overland, obviously it is easiest to travel overland to Cambodia from Bangkok. A few hours and you are there.

Visas need to be considered.  

Cambodia does visa on arrival at selected borders and also a very quick e-visa (which I recommend).

Laos does visa on arrival at selected borders.

Vietnam requires some advance letter for you to get visa on arrival, although another board reported some (G7?) countries now have the option of a more convenient scheme.

Malaysia -no visa, unless it has changed recently.

Cambodia is my favourite.