TotallyOz

Cecil the Lion

I have been actively watching the media uproar from the Cecil the Lion murder that occurred in Africa. (You can see from the murder statement that I abhor this act)

Many news articles have done a good job at uncovering the dentist who did this.  The dentist website crashed yesterday. His Yelp reviews are a hoot.  The social media has been destroying him left and right. I am not sure he will ever move on from this. Or, at least I hope he won't.

Here is a good article I read:

http://deadspin.com/dipshit-midwestern-dentist-identified-as-cecil-the-lion-1720587798

Cecil.png

I agree with your sentiments, murder it is and murder for sheer pleasure only,  no one got feed by this

I like finishing statement from the article you pointed

"If you wish to adorn your home with proof of your own wanton avarice, drive a fucking Range Rover halfway through the wall of your stupid den and park it there"

but for lion it's too late unfortunately 

Cecil death is not completely in vain as it triggered worldwide uproar against such a senseless slaughter.

Future ' adventurers' may have more than a second thought before they will contemplate similar pursuit.

After all trophy hunters are usually affluent people who may not want to ruin their names and careers  over  this - you may recall similar case of Spanish king few years ago   

the global uproar is way overblown and completely out of proportion relative to the crime committed. Yes it was wrong and killing for pleasure is despicable. But at the end of the day it is just one guy who happened to (presumably) illegally shoot ONE animal. big deal. At the same time, there are thousands upon thousands, especially in gun-loving USA who are doing the same on a daily basis. And besides, if people are concerned about the animal cruelty involved (apparently it took many many hours for the lion to die because of the weapon being bow and arrow, adding to the oddity of the guy), all those people should be vegetarians given the immeasurably more severe cruelty that is inflicted on livestock mass produced for our food by the millions of individual animals every day. I am by no means an animal rights activist, nor a vegetarian (let alone vegan) but I find it hypocritical and annoying how this story is so blown out of proportion. The bottom line is still a good one, though, given the potential positive effect vinapu pointed out.

I just don't get it either. 

So it's OK to kill innocent herbivores to eat them, bit someone who kills a carnivore is much much worse ?    

I fail to see why.  There does appear to be some worrying and irrational media hysteria associated with this story. 

Then, presumably it would have been OK to shoot a rabbit?  Looks like discrimination.

Just one lion? A  hundred years ago there were 200,000 lions in the wild and now maybe 30,000. One by one they die off or are killed and then one day they become extinct.

As for cattle, 1.4 billion so not exactly endangered.

As for rabbits, the wild ones are gamey in taste but the domestic ones are oh so yummy. 

So it's OK to kill innocent herbivores to eat them, bit someone who kills a carnivore is much much worse ?  

Herbivores are raised and killed to eat them, the lion was killed for fun (I think those people even call it "sport"). This, I think, is wrong (but then I go to 3rd world countries to engage in cheap prostitution with locals, so how can I judge?).

The outrage is overblown, for some opposing opinions google "truth cecil the lion", e.g. here:

http://www.salon.com/2015/08/03/the_easy_morality_of_cecil_the_lion_our_problem_isnt_too_much_outrage_%E2%80%94%C2%A0its_that_we_cant_summon_enough/

http://conservativetribune.com/zimbabwe-truth-cecil-the-lion/:

However, it would appear that the outrage surrounding the death of Cecil is what is commonly known as a “First World Problem,” as residents of Zimbabwe were mostly unaware of, and really don’t care about, the death of just another lion.

“Why are the Americans more concerned than us?” said Joseph Mabuwa, a 33-year-old father of two. “We never hear them speak out when villagers are killed by lions and elephants in Hwange.”

(That's an easy one. Lions are an endangered species, whereas there are so many Africans that they try to get to Europe. A lion who eats Africans should get an order instead of being killed, but I can't say that in public because it's not politically correct.)

I think the hype is way over the top. However, to make this sport both sides should have a chance so perhaps we should send the guy back on his own and without any weapons if he wants sport.

more like the gladiator games in ancient Rome ;-)

Regarding endangered species, that concern is overblown too. Yes they may be endangered and I agree with all human efforts to save endangered species. However, some perspective is warranted here, too. The human race has brought to extinction hundreds or thousands of species in its rather short history, including many of the so-called mega-fauna in various continents (like the mammoth, sabre-tooth tiger, Megatherium, etc etc.,), many smaller animal species, plants as well as, indeed, other human species (such as homo erectus or the famous Neandertaler). That is not meant to be an excuse for ongoing extinction, especially nowadays when humans are aware of what is going on. Again, this is just about perspective and the unjustified hype. It was just another lion. The real and IMHO only issue (apart form this being apparently illegal, but that in itself is no big deal, either) is killing for fun, which I guess all in this thread so far agree, is wrong. By the same token, the distinction between herbivores and carnivores is irrelevant, as numerous wild herbivores are hunted for fun / "sport" as well (think of the nice trophy the antlers of moose or antelopes provide).

the lion was killed for fun... This, I think, is wrong (but then I go to 3rd world countries to engage in cheap prostitution with locals, so how can I judge?).

Lions are an endangered species, whereas there are so many Africans that they try to get to Europe. A lion who eats Africans should get an order instead of being killed, but I can't say that in public because it's not politically correct.)

you are not killing prostitutes for fun, you are paying them so they can have fun as well.

As for second part it's not only politically incorrect, it's plain disgusting. No doubt there are homophobes who   will give order to lions for eating gays. It's about time you should start drinking.

In distant future probably one of those Africans will be changing your diapers when you land in nursing home somewhere.

Better look up the facts !  300,00 lions 25 years ago and now at most 30,000.  Trophy hunting is a small part of their demise but if we care about preserving some of the most majestic animals for future generations then steps have to be taken.

Plain and simple this dentist is a disgusting human being. He knew Cecil had a collar on and was protected.  That was the only reason he could get close enough to use a bow and arrow.  Then he tried to hide his crime by cutting off the collar and throwing it in the trees.

For those who don't give a damn about the extinction of species , it is a short sighted view.  Maybe some super human being in the future may just start killing all of us.

preserving some of the most majestic animals for future generations.......

Maybe some super human being in the future may just start killing all of us.

not only majestic ones.

Apparently bees population is shrinking , if they will be gone who will fuck  / sorry , pollinate /  all those plants? drones?

my underline above , thank you for bringing this up, human race started rehearsals already long time ago